Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Grip can't keep up

Get a grip man!..LOL

Hey... I am just trying to inject some humor into the situation...
On a serious note, as far as your grip is concerned, I wouldn't worry about it too much if you are a bodybuilder.
Now, in order to strengthen your forearm flexors, for they are responsible for maintaining your grip on the bar, you might try the following suggestions... they come from past experience.
I have found that when I use direct exercises for these muscles, they have a tendency to respond very quickly to that stimulus.
Many folks neglect their forearms believeing that other indirect exercises will strengthen them sufficiently. Unfortunately this is not the case but they do get some benefit from those indirect exercises. Those exercises that will make an great impact would be:

~ Behind-the-back wrist curls: You will want to allow the bar roll down to the tips of your fingers then roll it slowly back up until you have a tight grip on the bar again. You must use light weight at first but then as the forearms become stronger then weight will shoot up too. When performing this do not flex your hands upwards toward your elbow... you are simply working on gripping power and stamina in this exercise.

~ Hanging wrist curls: You start in the chin-up position but then allow your body to drop down using the tips of your fingers. You extend the grip from a closed grip to one that is open palmed. You will essentially be hanging from you finger tips. Then pull yourself back up into the original position and return you grip into a tight closed grip on the bar.

Some people you would definitely benefit in speaking to is wall-climbers, whether it be indoor or outdoor... ask them what they use to strengthen their grip... heaven knows that it takes considerable strength to hang in mid-air by your finger tips... what feats of strength.

In the above exercises you will want to focus on strength and stamina... not sheer power... concentrate on a high number of repetitions... they will build the factors that you seek in upholding massive poundages.
It doesn't take power to hold 300 plus pounds of iron for multiple repetitions, it takes good old fashion stamina and strength... power here is the wrong premise.

Maxmuscle66

PS: In the mean time use straps if you must but continue these exercises and you will be more than delighted with the outcome.

Try gloves first. They helped me improve my grip for another 50 lbs. before it started failing again. I swore I would never resort to straps but I finally broke down this year. However, I didn't go with straps because I could never get a firm, static hold on the bar with them. Try Versa Gripps down the road if your grip fails again, but try to make out with gloves first. They will help more than you think.

Chalk,
get some chalk, it makes a difference a big difference, id say around 3 to 5 reps at submax weights and about 20 to 30 pounds on your 1 rep max.

u's straps but start working ur forearms, never have a weakpoint. i can do 495 for reps on deadlift no straps needed. i would try static bar holds, 2 inch bar holds, wrist curls will help with the look of ur forearms not to much with grip strength. also get ur self them captains of crush grippers they work wonders.

I agree with Tuna Guy. I suspect the reason you are losing your grip is because the bar slips in your fingers due to sweat or ghreasy bars. Chalk will help prevent that. As an example.....without chalk I cant hold more than 500. With chalk I can hold 660 with ease.

I think too many people are too eager to start using straps....there are alternatives.

Tuna Guy said:
Chalk,
get some chalk, it makes a difference a big difference, id say around 3 to 5 reps at submax weights and about 20 to 30 pounds on your 1 rep max.

Try chalk first. Ton's of it:) The reason that I do not use straps is because I train for strongman where basic muscular endurance and grip strength plays a larger role than solid strength. Hope that made sense...just that grip is so important to strongman. Being that the deadlift will be an event in my next contest...I will be using my straps as the contest nears because I will be allowed to wear them in the contest.

The Dude: Owensboro huh? Only a couple of hours from me...

B True

Top Bottom