Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Going running= getting stronger?

more cardio i do, the lower my strength goes. youre new so you can easily increase your cardio and strength together, but as you become an advanced lifter, it becomes a sliding scale

nah, man. i wish i were new. i been lifting for 14 years now. i understand my body really well and i know well enough that more cardio=decrease in strength. i was just more specifically referring to short up and downhill runs a few times a week and wondering if, because its almost a type of interval cardio, im possibly increasing my muscle strength by utilizing different muscles and my core all at once.

the amount and type of cardio you are doing does not seem like it would burn away any significant amount of muscle... it may possibly help your strength in some manner, you know your body best...

i too can take some nice 10 day rests on certain lifts (especially squats, never on bench for some reason) and come back just as strong and more primed for gains or even come back stronger altogether...

the amount and type of cardio you are doing does not seem like it would burn away any significant amount of muscle... it may possibly help your strength in some manner, you know your body best...

i too can take some nice 10 day rests on certain lifts (especially squats, never on bench for some reason) and come back just as strong and more primed for gains or even come back stronger altogether...

Yea some research is also there about protein fasting. To re sensitize the body to higher protein intake. So I would think dropping off for a while, eliminating the stimulus might up regulate the receptors for growth and make even more gains after time off.

Cardio does not burn muscle or makes you weaker, unless you are at 6%bf and doing 45min cardio everyday, yes it can, but doing 20-30 min cardio 3-4 times a week is not bad for mass and strength..
The reason you're getting stronger is because cardio makes you recover faster between workouts, doing 30 min slow paste cardio on your off days will make you stronger the next day for weight training, because of recovery, also it makes your heart stronger..

FACT: STRONG HEART=STRONG BODY..

Cardio does not burn muscle or makes you weaker, unless you are at 6%bf and doing 45min cardio everyday, yes it can, but doing 20-30 min cardio 3-4 times a week is not bad for mass and strength..
The reason you're getting stronger is because cardio makes you recover faster between workouts, doing 30 min slow paste cardio on your off days will make you stronger the next day for weight training, because of recovery, also it makes your heart stronger..

FACT: STRONG HEART=STRONG BODY..

cardio most definately burns away muscle, go to a 5K road race sometime and look the way runners look, or how swimmers look then come back and tell me cardio is good for muscle gain. cardio is catabolic.

strong heart doesn't equal strong body either.. those guys on worlds strongest men are all overweight and all have poor heart health. yet they are the strongest people in the world.

and yes if you do intense cardio it will wipe your strength out the next day. powerlifters don't do cardio the day before a meet, they REST their body so its fresh! a light walk or jerking around on the elliptical won't make a difference perhaps that is what you mean by cardio.

Last edited:
cardio most definately burns away muscle, go to a 5K road race sometime and look the way runners look, or how swimmers look then come back and tell me cardio is good for muscle gain. cardio is catabolic.

strong heart doesn't equal strong body either.. those guys on worlds strongest men are all overweight and all have poor heart health. yet they are the strongest people in the world.

and yes if you do intense cardio it will wipe your strength out the next day. powerlifters don't do cardio the day before a meet, they REST their body so its fresh! a light walk or jerking around on the elliptical won't make a difference perhaps that is what you mean by cardio.

I dont even know what you're talking about.. What does runner who run alot have to do with someone who hit the weight room hard and does slow paste cardio for 30 min 3 times a week..

The guys that you mentioned run for 2-4 hours almost everyday, dont eat like a bodybuilder (less than 60g protein and 1500 cal a day) and dont do weight training, ofcourse they'll look like a stick.. And powerlifters tain for power, there are tons of small skinny guys who can lift heavy..
i myself do 20min slow paste cardio on the stationery bike 3 times a week and im getting bigger and stronger day by day, and im 100% natural dont take anything no roids or supplement expect creatine..

CARDIO DOES NOT BURN MUSCLE, ITS A MYTH, DONT CARE IF YOU WANNA BELIEVE ME OR NOT.... THE ONLY WAY YOU ARE GOING TO BURN MUSCLE WITH CARDIO IS IF YOU ARE ALREADY AT LOW BF% (7%), GETTING VERY LITTLE PROTEIN AND CALORIES AND DOING TOO MUCH CARDIO..
SINCE YOU GUYS ARE ALREADY JUCING I DONT THINK YOU NEED TO EVEN WORRY ABOUT LOSING MUSCLE, EVEN ON A CALORIC DEFICIT AND UP TO 2 HOURS OF CARDIO EVERYDAY WONT BURN MUSCLE...
I AM STATING THE FACTS, ITS NOT AN OPINION..

sorry for the caps, it needed to be said..

^^^^ you really think runners train 2-4 hours a day? gosh you are so out of your league its not even funny. you don't know what you are talking about. runners train LESS than weightlifters. how is that for a fact? track practice is like an hour tops.. you really believe that runners run around the track for 4 hours to train???? seriously? lets use facts a bit better.. runners train 15-50 minutes depending on if they are doing interval training or they are doing LSD training. a 5K typically takes a runner 16-25 minutes to complete depending on their speed.. a freaking half marathon takes under 2 hours to complete, so you are pretty much saying that runners do half marathons almost everyday. your knees, ankles, feet, knees, shins, would turn into jello if a human being did that. your CNS would probably shut down and you would die running 2-4 hours a day.

and dude i seen what you look like, you are in no position to give advice on cardio no disrespect but its the truth. don't be posting nonsense and advertising it as fact on this board, i've already warned you in the past about trolling threads. this is now the 5th thread you have trolled on and you have only been a member for a few months. RADAR already banned you for it before, cut it out, last warning i will give you

I dont even know what you're talking about.. What does runner who run alot have to do with someone who hit the weight room hard and does slow paste cardio for 30 min 3 times a week..

The guys that you mentioned run for 2-4 hours almost everyday, dont eat like a bodybuilder (less than 60g protein and 1500 cal a day) and dont do weight training, ofcourse they'll look like a stick.. And powerlifters tain for power, there are tons of small skinny guys who can lift heavy..
i myself do 20min slow paste cardio on the stationery bike 3 times a week and im getting bigger and stronger day by day, and im 100% natural dont take anything no roids or supplement expect creatine..

CARDIO DOES NOT BURN MUSCLE, ITS A MYTH, DONT CARE IF YOU WANNA BELIEVE ME OR NOT.... THE ONLY WAY YOU ARE GOING TO BURN MUSCLE WITH CARDIO IS IF YOU ARE ALREADY AT LOW BF% (7%), GETTING VERY LITTLE PROTEIN AND CALORIES AND DOING TOO MUCH CARDIO..
SINCE YOU GUYS ARE ALREADY JUCING I DONT THINK YOU NEED TO EVEN WORRY ABOUT LOSING MUSCLE, EVEN ON A CALORIC DEFICIT AND UP TO 2 HOURS OF CARDIO EVERYDAY WONT BURN MUSCLE...
I AM STATING THE FACTS, ITS NOT AN OPINION..

sorry for the caps, it needed to be said..

Actually, as both a D III runner (a long time ago) turned cyclist/triathlete I have to correct you.

1. No one runs 2-4 hours a day except maybe one day a week if training for a marathon (notably certain women with body image disorders will do something like this but they are going slow and have severe physical (and mental) issues)

2. Even in college we may have run 10-12 miles a day but it was at a 7/min mile pace so we were never out longer than 1.5 hours.

3. Even on speed work days, we may do a 5 mile warm followed by some speed work, then a cool down and even then maybe 1.5 hours.

4. As far as food--I would put my college cross country team against any same age body builders for caloric intake--as we need at least an extra 1500 just to stop from wasting away.

5. When you are in caloric deficit (a true deficit)--and I am right this very minute and have been for two months, you burn muscle in the form of amino acids (hence the NO3 smell from your skin). What is a FACT is that it is physiologically impossible to convert fat to glucose --the glucose the brain requires must come from amino acids--from breaking down muscle tissue--(AND where does the energy come from for this cycle--cleaving off part of a fatty acid molecule). So you do burn fat AND muscle--period--there is NO WAY AROUND IT

You understand some macro concepts but where the rubber hits the road you are in over your head.

6. I not only have first hand knowlege of the above I will start talking about various metabolic cycles if you wish to discuss this on a deeper level.

7. as far a steroids--only certain ones will curb muscle wasting when in severe caloric deficit--curb, not prevent (again, personal and academic experience)

Last edited:
^^^^ good points Eddy. and I totally left out the carb intake thing, I was eating more as an endurance runner/triathlete than I do today as a bodybuilder especially on weeks i put in a lot of mileage it wasn't even close. i would eat entire pizza's on my own in one sitting.. no way would i dare do that today as a bodybuilder for fear of putting on body fat. i might have 1 slice as a treat once every couple weeks thats all

Top Bottom