Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Gary Wary...you gotta help out bro...

Birduvsc

Hey Gary, what's up? I just received 300g of Inositol that I ordered after reading your numerous reports on it as an aid against anxiety/panic attacks. How much should I start with, and what does it feel like when your on it? I have been on Zoloft, and I HATE it. I have been tapering off of it, and am now at 15mg per day. Zoloft makes me feel numb, and no emotions. Is this what Inositol does? or can I still feel emotions and the spirit inside of me? Thanks alot Gary. Also, any other comments on Inositol and the effects they had/with what dosage, would be awesome!!!

Yea, thanks BN. I have done a search, and have found a ton of stuff on it. But does it feel like you are on Zoloft? I fetchin hate Zoloft and how it makes me feel. What does it feel like to be on Inositol? It doesn't make your emotions numb and have no feeling like SSRI's does it? Thanks everyone.

I have work email, job-search email, friends email, weird email, junk email, spam email, the occassional virus.... It takes me a while to wade through sometimes.

Depression: 6 to 12 grams daily by mouth (1,2,8)
Panic Attacks: 12 grams daily or 6 grams twice daily by mouth (1,3)
Diabetic Neuropathy: 1 to 2 grams daily by mouth (1,4-6)
Side Effects of Lithium Treatment: 3 to 6 grams taken as one or two doses per day by mouth (9)

References:
1. Murray, MT: Encyclopedia of Nutritional Supplements. Prima Publishing, Rocklin, CA; 1996.
2. Levine J, Barak Y, Gonzalves M et al: double blind controlled trial of inositol treatment of depression. Am J Psychiatry 1995;152:792-794.
3. Benjamin J, Levine J, Fux M et al: Double-blind, placebo-controlled, crossover trial of inositol treatment for panic disorder. AM J psychiatry 1995;152:1084-1086.
4. Gegersen G, Harb H, Helles A & Christensen J: Oral supplementation of myoinositol: Effects on peripheral nerve function in human diabetics and on the concentration in plasma, erythrocytes, urine and muscle tissue in human diabetics and normals. Acta Neurol Scand 1983;67:164-171.
5. Clements RS, Bourganti B, Kuba T et al: Dietary myo-inositol intake and peripheral nerve function in diabetic neuropathy. Metabolism 1979;28:477.
6. Salway JG, Whitehead I, Finnegan JA et al: Effect of myo-inositol on peripheral-nerve function in diabetes. Lancet 1978; 2:1282.
8. Levine J, Gonsalves M, Barbur I et al: Inositol 6g daily may be effective in depression but not in schizophrenia. OGY 1993; 8:49-53.
9. Grisaru N & Belmaker R: Lithium dosage and inositol levels. Br J Psychiatry 1993; 164(1):133-134.
10. Sandberg AS, Brune M, Carlsson NG et al: Inositol phosphates with different numbers of phosphate groups influence iron absorption in humans. Am J Clin Nutr 1999; 70:240-246.
11. Belmaker RH, Agam G, van Calker D et al: Behavioral reversal of lithium effects by four inositol isomers correlates perfectly with biochemical effects on the PI cycle: depletion by chronic lithium of brain inositol is specific to hypothalamus, and inositol levels may be abnormal in postmortem brain from bipolar patients. Neuropsychopharmacology 1998; 19(3):220-32.
12. Wolfson M, Hertz E, Belmaker RH et al: Chronic treatment with lithium and pretreatment with excess inositol reduce inositol pool size in astrocytes by different mechanisms. Brain Res 1998; 787(1):34-40.
13. Fauroux CM & Freeman S: Inhibitors of inositol monophosphatase. J Enzyme Inhib 1999; 14(2):97-108.
14. Moore GJ, Bebchuk JM, Parrish JK et al: Temporal dissociation between lithium-induced changes in frontal lobe myo-inositol and clinical response in manic-depressive illness. Am J Psychiatry 1999; 156(12):1902-1908.
15. Lubrich B & van Calker D: Inhibition of the high affinity myo-inositol transport system: a common mechanism of action of antibipolar drugs? Neuropsychopharmacology 1999; 21(4):519-529.
16. Arendrup K, Gregersen G & Hawley J: High-dose dietary myo-inositol supplementation does not alter the ischaemia phenomenon in human diabetics. Acta Neurol Scand 1989:99-102.
17. Levine J, Witztum E, Greenberg B et al: Inositol-induced mania? Am J Psych 1996; 153:6.

Name(s): Inositol monophosphate, vitamin B8

Description: The only form of this compound that is nutritionally effective comes from phos-phatidylinositol called myoinositol. Inositol is found in both plant and animal tissues, functioning in controlling signals and messages of cells. This compound is important for maintaining the growth of the cells in the eye membranes, bone marrow, and intestines.1

Absorption/Storage: When ingested, not all of the inositol is used in that form. Approximately 7% of the inositol taken in is converted to glucose. The body only excretes a small amount because it is very vital for maintaining important biological pathways.1

Recommended Dietary Allowance/Dietary Reference Intake: The Recommended Dietary Allowance has not yet established an amount.1

Optimum Daily Allowance: None.

Principal Uses: No proven uses.

Proposed Uses: Depression,2-4 Alzheimer's disease, attention deficit disorder,4 panic disorder,5 obsessive compulsive disorder,6 and diabetes.7

Healthy Sources:

Good plant sources include citrus fruits, whole grains, nuts, seeds and legumes.8

Contraindications: No serious ill effects have been reported for inositol, even with a therapeutic dosage that equals about 18 times the average dietary intake. However, no long-term safety studies have been performed.9

Interactions: Caffeine may cause a inositol deficiency.1 Inositol works together with other methyl donors. No other interactions are known.8

Deficiency: A deficiency of inositol causes problems such as constipation, eczema, hair loss, and disorders of the eyes.1

Toxicity/Side Effects: Safety has not been established in young children, women who are pregnant or nursing, and those with severe liver and kidney disease. As with all supplements used in multigram doses, it is important to purchase a reputable product, because a contaminant present even in small percentages could add up to a real problem.9

Treatment for Overdose: None.

Storage: To store this dietary supplement:

Keep out of the reach of children.
Store away from heat and direct light.
Do not store in the bathroom, near the kitchen sink, or in other damp places. Heat or moisture may cause the dietary supplement to break down.
Do not keep outdated dietary supplement or those no longer needed. Be sure that any discarded dietary supplement is out of the reach of children.

References:

Dr. Morrow's Library of Vitamins, Minerals, Amino Acids, and Herbs: Inositol. [Online]
Levine, J. Barak, Y. Kofman, O. & Belmaker, R.H. (1995). Follow-up and relapse analysis of an inositol study of depression. Israeli Journal Psychiatry and Related Sciences, 32(1): 14-21.
Benjamin, J. Agam, G., Levine, J. et al. (1995). Inositol treatment in psychiatry. Psychopharmacology Bulletin, 31(1): 167-175.
Levine, J. (1997). Controlled trials of inositol in psychiatry. European Neuropschopharmacology, 7: 147-155.
Benjamin, J. Levine, J., Fux, M., et al. (1995). Double-blind, placebo controlled, crossover trial of inositol treatment for panic disorder. American Journal of Psychiatry, 152: 1084-1086.
Fux, m. Levine, J. Aviv, A., & Belmaker, R.H. (1996). Inositol treatment of obsessive-compulsive disorder. American Journal of Psychiatry, 153: 1219-1221.
Gegersen, G., Harb, H., Helles, A. & Christensen, J. (1983). Oral supplementation of myoinositol: Effects on peripheral nerve function in human diabetics and on the concentration in plasma, erythrocytes, urine, and muscle tissue in human diabetics and normals. Acta Neurol Scand, 67: 164-171.
Murray, M.T. (1996). Encyclopaedia of nutritional supplements. Rocklin, CA: Prima.
Bratman, S. et al. (2000). The natural pharmacy: Herbs & supplements - inositol.

Hey Garywary, your a stud man. Thanks for all of the research that you do to help us, as well as yourself. But, what do you mean that if you stop taking inositol after you take it, you will have relapse? Does that mean, if I start taking it, and decide to go off of it, then I must taper off of it? Also, no one answered on if the feeling of inositol is like zoloft...the no emotion, numb spirit. So can you comment on that personally? Thanks alot.

Top Bottom