Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Gaining weight...Newbies READ!!!

growin' said:
Maybe you, but most folks I know would shrivel up and die training HARD for 4-5 days a week. The average joe can't take that. 4 days a week tops if your volume is lower. The rest, i agree with.

Dude, what kind of pussies do you know? That "I can't take anymore without overtraining" stuff is a cop out for all of the pussies who would rather sit on their asses than go to the gym. I go six days a week. I lift as heavy as I can year round, barring any times that I'm dieting and even then I'm lifting as heavy as I can for 12-15 reps. And I lift "HARD" every one of those six days. Thus, the point is, quit bitching. You sound like a little girl.

Grizzly; posts like that aren't very helpful... People are here to help each other not tell one another who the bigger pussy is cause they don't lift six days a week...
YUM

I totally agree with your advice Johnny. I am also still natural and have been training for 4 years. The last year I have been training something like you described and have had very good results.

However, you didn't mention anything about how many sets you do for each musclegroup, and stuff like drop sets, forced reps and so on.

Personally I think about 5 total sets is enough for small muscle groups like biceps, and that 7-9 sets are enough for big muscle groups like the back or the chest.

I never do any drop sets, forced reps or that sort of things since they have given me nothing but overtraining in the past.

Just thought this was important stuff too, in case some newbie starts following your advice, but thinks that doing 20 sets for each musclegroup makes him/her grow faster. Since you didn't mention anything about that.

Would like to have your opinion on this matter as well.

Grizzly said:

Dude, what kind of pussies do you know? That "I can't take anymore without overtraining" stuff is a cop out for all of the pussies who would rather sit on their asses than go to the gym. I go six days a week. I lift as heavy as I can year round, barring any times that I'm dieting and even then I'm lifting as heavy as I can for 12-15 reps. And I lift "HARD" every one of those six days. Thus, the point is, quit bitching. You sound like a little girl.

Ignorant

Bobba said:

Personally I think about 5 total sets is enough for small muscle groups like biceps, and that 7-9 sets are enough for big muscle groups like the back or the chest.

I never do any drop sets, forced reps or that sort of things since they have given me nothing but overtraining in the past.

Just thought this was important stuff too, in case some newbie starts following your advice, but thinks that doing 20 sets for each musclegroup makes him/her grow faster. Since you didn't mention anything about that.

Would like to have your opinion on this matter as well.

I personally have found that a total of about 8 sets work for small muscles (bi's tri). I usually do about 12 sets total for large muscle groups.

I do something a little different in my routine though. I dowarm ups sets when i begin a big muscle group, then i slam them with 2 heavy sets, followed by a high rep set. For example the bench. 1st set is just 135 for 12. this is very easy. 2nd is 135 again for a couple. 3rd is 185 for 5 or so. This is easy as well. then i do my working sets. i put on 245 and do it as many times as i can (4-5). Next set i do this again. Finally, i go back to 185 and do as many as i can.

This method has worked great for me. It has given me great gains and 0 injuries to date.

gaining weight, a quick how to

My favorite site for this subject (with a cut and paste of the text)

http://www.geocities.com/Colosseum/Field/4992/gain.html

How to Gain Weight
Perhaps one of the biggest desires of many weight trainers is the need to increase body weight. Here are a few guidelines that should help keep the scales moving, but with minimal fat increase.

- Eat 6 roughly equal meals a day.

- Get 30g protein per meal. Use whey protein, tuna, chicken, milk, or other moderate quality sources. See the "Comparison of Protein Sources".
- Drink 1-2 gallons of water a day.
- Eat roughly 20 times your bodyweight (in lbs) of calories per day.
- If you are moderately lean to begin with, don't be afraid of putting on a little bit of fat. Attempting to limit the amount of fat that you put on will almost certainly guarantee a slower rate of muscle increase. Fat can generally be dieted off at a later stage easily.
- A relatively good, cheap weight-gainer is chocolate milk. It has about 180 Cal per serving, with enough fat content to dampen the resulting blood-glucose peak from the high sugar content.
- If you're going to purchase a weight-gainer, don't buy one of these Mega Mass 4000, etc. products. These are usually caseinates / egg white protein with considerable dextrose or maltodextrin added. You would be better off buying a Met-RX ripoff (240Cal, 37g protein, 24g carbohydrate), and mixing it with skim milk.
- Have a quality meal at least every 3 hours.
- Eat your breakfast (high in protein) as soon as you wake up. This gets your metabolism started as early as possible and helps get your body out of the early-morning catabolic state. If you're taking creatine monohydrate, then eat your breakfast 30-45 minutes after your dose for maximal CM absorption.
- Immediately after your workout, get a good 30g quick carbohydrate snack. This will help to start the replenishment of your glycogen stores.
- Within 2 hours of the completion of your workout, eat a full high protein, high carbohydrate meal. This is the most important meal for protein.
- The day after your workouts, a time for recovery, is another period when increased protein is suggested.
- Get 8-9 hours of sleep a night. To make getting to sleep easier, eat a small carbohydrate meal before bedtime, and avoid significant protein. The carbohydrate snack will help release l-tryptophan, a good sleep inducer. Melatonin is also beneficial in aiding sleep.

Eat your breakfast (high in protein) as soon as you wake up. This gets your metabolism started as early as possible and helps get your body out of the early-morning catabolic state. If you're taking creatine monohydrate, then eat your breakfast 30-45 minutes after your dose for maximal CM absorption

Most of the advice in your post made perfect sense to me, but delaying your breakfast 30-45 minutes to get better absorption of CM is just foolish. First of all because I totally agree that eating breakfast as soon as possible is very important to reduce catabolism. Besides CM is best absorbed together with simple carbs like dextrose because of the peak in insulin such carbs will provide. When you wake up your insulin levels are close to zero.

Thanks for the support there Grizzly old pal :D I don't really consider 12-15 reps all that intense. I suppose you could train with high reps like that more often. But, if you ever start training heavier (under 5 reps) your not going to recover neurologically or physically, and your going to keep getting injured. AND some of the pussies I know are pulling around 700lbs and would probably snack on your thigh like a chicken wing. Ease up fella.

Top Bottom