Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Fly Half training - rugby

Jack_Rob

Hi all.

I'm 18 years old and haven't played rugby for 2 years due to other commitments. I'm 5'8 and weigh 79 kg. I really want to start playing again and have experience of playing at fly half and scrum half.

Would anyone be able to point me in a direction of a decent plan or sheduale please? I was thinking about weights on Monday's and Friday's with cardio sessions Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday. What do you guys think?

Thank you.

It would depend on your goals. If you want to grow in size, you would need to slightly reduce your cardio sessions. However, if your goal is to be more athletic with better performance, 3-4 days of cardio would be optimal.

In any case, I would add in a bit more variety, and would rather do tuesday and thursday weight training, then monday/wednesday/friday cardio. On saturday do some cardio with weights, and have some rest on sunday. This way you will be able to have enough time to recover for each of your cardio sessions by having the weight days in between.

Well not necessarily reduce cardio sessions, but then you would need to increase food intake for sure

your coach should have a training program for you.. ask him.

i never played rugby but i played both football and soccer which are similar and we would train hard almost everyday. lots of running and weight training was crucial for contact sports

I would recommend 3 days of weight training. That way you could do a push/pull/legs routine. Cardio I would also hit minimum 3 days per week. Your sport requires a lot of athletic ability so training and diet will be your key to success. What does your diet look like. I would love for Muskate and others to chime in on it so we can get you optimal for that as well.

Thank you so much to you all for replying, really appreciate it. Exactly the sort advice I was looking for so thanks ��.

I'll be honest with you all, the problem I'm having with weights at the minute is that because I dont do them 'consistently' it's taking me till Friday for my upper body to recover from a Monday session. This week is an example of that. I was thinking about using the bike for my legs maybe? Most fly halves aren't the biggest on the field if you think about Dan Carter, George Ford, Dan Biggar etc but they are all really skilful so I'll be looking at my kicking and passing every day now. My exams are all done so I've got the entire summer to train and prepare myself. I split up with my ex a few months back and kinda stopped working out for a spell after that, guess I've managed to get back into it now though which is something. I'm miles off where I want to be though physically and skill wise. I really want to play at a level I can be proud of so this summer is all about working towards that for me.

I've actually started a bit of a gym at home with a barbell, Dumbbells, bench, ab lounger and a bike in there as well. Normally do around 7 exercises with 10 reps 4 sets and will cover all my body in that so I'll do military press and bicep curls for example and squats as well. I don't think being bulky would help me too much playing at fly half really.

Diet is inconsistant. I aim for 5 bottles of water every day and the only real consistent is porridge in a morning. I love bread and cheese but I've been trying to cut down lately. I live at home right now so a lot of it depends on what my mum makes me but she does a pretty good job so can't complain too much.

Hope this gives you a little more info. Thanks for being friendly and helping me out, really kind of you all.

Top Bottom