Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Exertion Headache?

i'd meet with a chiro that lifts weights himself

he will straighten you out

The main time I get the pain is doing flat benchpress with heavy weight for me. Depending how heavy for me it is, it can happen between 3 and 7 reps. Then I have tremendous pain, which slowly goes away over the next minute, leaving me with a pretty hard core headache in the back of my head, which lingers with me the rest of the day. I don't get the pain during any other normal activities.

I have pretty much decided on taking a 2 week break. I've worked out around 6 days a week for 4 months. Probably wouldn't hurt, anyways. I can't workout with this pain, anyways... I go to try, I get the pain.. Then I'm afraid to push it anymore. I did notice over the last week and a half that breathing did affect it. Sometimes my breathing could stop it... But not during benchpress, by the 7th rep it's excrutiating. So, 2 weeks off to hopefully heal up is better than 2 weeks of not a full set and reinjuring everytime.

Scary stuff, thanks for the comments.

Don't stop bro for 2 weeks. i have been going at it for over 3 years nonstop myself and have dealt with my share of problems. work around them. if it bothers you going heavy then don't go heavy for a week and then see what happens.. but don't flat out just stop lifting, i know its not fun a the gym doing pussy weight and having your peers look at you like why is the strong dude who always does 300 like nothing only doing 200? but so what.

just a suggestion but think it over cause you worked hard for your strength and body gains to just stop for 2 weeks and lose a lot of your conditioning. it will go fast.

Once in a while ill get a headache in the front of my head from over exertion but never the back side. I would also suggest going lighter for a week or two and see if it helps. Either way go to a doctor to make sure it isn't something serious, no reason to chance it.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using EliteFitness

Just in case anyone was wondering, I took your advice Steve and did not stop working out. It was killing me thinking about "going on a break", too. I did triceps yesterday, and that was the only other workout in particular that also would cause that neck pain. I didn't have any pain. Tomorrow I'm going to bench, then I'll get my schedule back on track. I don't like the idea of benching so soon after triceps day. And if anyone is wondering why I don't do tri's on chest day, I had been and always have done that. I just decided to start isolating each muscle group a little more. I feel like it's my triceps that are holding me back in benchpress, and I can give them the work they need if I set aside a day for them.

But tomorrow is the big day to see if this is actually better or not. I stopped taking Lipo 6, just in case it was attributing to this. I need to get some arginine, because I honestly think it's a blood vessel problem. Hopefully is has healed and I won't reinjure tomorrow. If I do, I will be one pissed sob.

Just in case anyone was wondering, I took your advice Steve and did not stop working out. It was killing me thinking about "going on a break", too. I did triceps yesterday, and that was the only other workout in particular that also would cause that neck pain. I didn't have any pain. Tomorrow I'm going to bench, then I'll get my schedule back on track. I don't like the idea of benching so soon after triceps day. And if anyone is wondering why I don't do tri's on chest day, I had been and always have done that. I just decided to start isolating each muscle group a little more. I feel like it's my triceps that are holding me back in benchpress, and I can give them the work they need if I set aside a day for them.

But tomorrow is the big day to see if this is actually better or not. I stopped taking Lipo 6, just in case it was attributing to this. I need to get some arginine, because I honestly think it's a blood vessel problem. Hopefully is has healed and I won't reinjure tomorrow. If I do, I will be one pissed sob.

Are you doing heavy close grip benches and high board work or pin presses to increase tricep strength? You can also try skull crushers with chains or bands to ease pressure on elbows while hammering the tris.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using EliteFitness

Skull crushers sound good. I'll start incorporating those into my triceps routine. I do something kind of like that, but with a dumbbell in a sitting position holding the dumbbell more vertical.

Well, I did chest today. It's about 85% better. This time, I felt the pain coming on during my bench and I stopped a little early. It went up my neck (starts in neck) along the left side and behind my ear. So, this wasn't full out like it has been when both sides do it and meet in the middle. So, I am getting better. I couldn't do my normal weights on flat, but I worked on incline and flat close grip with no problems, but I use lighter weights for those. Also no problems doing military press. Before, I believe military press did trigger that pain.

I've been doing neck stretches. Nothing special, just pulling my head down, feeling the pain of tension all down my back. Left, middle, and right head positions when stretching.

Top Bottom