Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Eating before you sleep

bushido39

Eating before you sleep..

Is this really bad? Eating right before you go to bed? What about a protein shake right before you hit the sack.. I've heard mixed things.. I have a really hard time dealing with this because i work nights.. when i get home, i eat a shitload.. then i just go to bed..

bushido39 said:

Is this really bad? Eating right before you go to bed? What about a protein shake right before you hit the sack.. I've heard mixed things.. I have a really hard time dealing with this because i work nights.. when i get home, i eat a shitload.. then i just go to bed..

To my knowledge Casein shakes that last up to 8 hrs are great to have right before bed. Especially if your bulking or trying to maintain a weight.

bushido39 said:

I heard most of it just sits in the gut undigested, then out the other end in the morning! In practice tho, I found I gain weight faster if I eat before bed (if your bulking). I also found I dont get any stomach/bowel problems if I sleep on a reclined chair instead of a bed (not horizontal).

I'm trying to cut weight while maintaining muscle.. It's probably best for me to just have one shake after work, before i sleep.. it's just so hard to eat such a small meal when i'm so hungry

Makes no difference at all for fat burning purposes. If you're hungry at night then have something to eat. I've always said this in the past. You're body can't tell time. It doesn't know the difference between 2 in the afternoon or 4 in the morning. It's sole funtion is to survive. Eat ever few hours while you're awake, don't starve, train heavy and burn more calories than you take in and you'll lose fat and hold on to as much muscle as possible.

Last edited:
I too work nights and have wondered if it mattered eating before sleep. I noticed that If I eat a relatively high-cal/high-protein meal, I'm out for 6hours easy and feel less lethargic upon waking. As for any change in muscle loss...i've noticed none (and fat gain is minimal as long as I keep cardio in my routine). Seeing as how sleep is an integral part of the recovery phase and there doesn't seem to be negative affects by eating, I just eat so that I sleep better.

I wouldn't go the carb route, but that's my opinion....you don't need them for that next 8 hours while you do nothing but sleep. I eat all the way up to bed, and even in bed sometimes if I'm running late on schedule. It's a nice sized meal.....20g of fat, 50g of protein...casein, cottage cheese and nuts.

targac21 said:
To my knowledge Casein shakes that last up to 8 hrs are great to have right before bed. Especially if your bulking or trying to maintain a weight.

how about muscle milk protein?

Top Bottom