Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Dual factor theory 5x5 question

oso0960

Okay so I'm a little confused as to what should happen.

I understand the first 4 weeks of volume loading, but the deload/intesification phase i do not. Is the intesification phase supposed to promote slow and gradual recovery from the volume phase? Do you actually gain strength from the intensification phase or is it just to show the 'fitness' gained from the volume phase because the 'fatigue' gradually dissipates? (like the texas method.... I think the volume day is what disrupts homeostasis and the intensity day is to display the newly acquired strength gained from the volume day.)

Okay so I'm a little confused as to what should happen.

I understand the first 4 weeks of volume loading, but the deload/intesification phase i do not. Is the intesification phase supposed to promote slow and gradual recovery from the volume phase? Do you actually gain strength from the intensification phase or is it just to show the 'fitness' gained from the volume phase because the 'fatigue' gradually dissipates? (like the texas method.... I think the volume day is what disrupts homeostasis and the intensity day is to display the newly acquired strength gained from the volume day.)
If done properly, it will be a combination of both. Because of your increased recovery ability, you will make gains during intensification. That's why the emphasis is still on setting records week to week. If you just wanted to get rid of accumulated fatigue, it'd be much more efficient to just take extra time off.

I took a week off in between. It was quite helpful. Now if I wouldn't have given myself a mean case of bursitis at work in my left knee...

thanks guys.

@LucSulla - I followed the exact deload week as it is written and completely burned out at week 7. Took a real deload and am about to finish week 8.

Deloads are built in so you don't fry your cns and get stuck at a plateau.

oso0960,

You have gotten some good replies! The second half of the program (I assume I know what program you are talking about, there has been a proliferation of 5 by 5 routines since I wrote the one I think you are on)does allow you to rest and "demonstrate" strength gained on the first half of the program, but thats certainly not all it does. You should still be actually getting stronger.

And to all who post that they "burn out" on this program... when I originally wrote it and put it out on the web, I included redundant warnings about being conservative with the weight the first time through it. If you are burning out, you probably started to heavy or got too greedy with your poundage increases... if you ever decide to do it again, keep this in mind.

glenn pendlay

Wow, the fact I am on a thread Glenn responded to is pretty neat to me. Thanks for the info, Glenn!

Top Bottom