Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

does whey break down when heated?

Phemomena

i've heard yes and i've heard no.... even on the container they suggest putting in muffins etc...

anyone?

it shouldnt - ive used it in muffins and cookies.
also, blenders produce heat believe it or not, and it does not break down the content.

Hope I helped

bump.. i'm still curious on this one... i mean i can believe that there is some breakdown, but is there any other info... you said some, which ones?

The protein must be processed under low temperature and/or low acid conditions so as not to "denature" the protein. I'll look for some of my info on this.....

ß-lactoglobulins, (-lactalbumins, bovine serum albumin (BSA), and immunoglobulins (Ig) . These are known as whey proteins. These globular proteins are more water-soluble and acid-stable than caseins, but denature at temperatures above 170°F. Denaturation increases their water-holding capacity. The isoelectric point of the proteins covers a wide range, depending on the compound. The major whey protein, ß-lactoglobulin has an isoelectric point at about 5.4, making whey stable at lower pHs.

So in short, process of heating and Pasteurization, causes critical bonds holding the cystine together get broken down ("denatured", meaning they loose their original nature--similar to the denaturing and irreversible changing of liquid egg white by the heating process involved in frying an egg). The exact type of proteins that serve to increase tissue and serum glutathione most effectively are lost or diminished.

Last edited:
So then what does this MEAN?

I just ate half a pan of low-carb brownies, made with whey protein. Baking temperature was 350 degrees.

So is the protein denatured and gone to waste? Is it still usable?

That would suck because those brownies were gooooood ..... :p

Does anyone have more info on how protein is denaturalized and what that means for absorption/utilization?

I've mentioned in other theads I don't eat meat (personal reasons--cannot change) and dairy is minimal. Getting enough protein for bulking is a constant challenge, and I'd hate to think it's wasted.

I say BAH HUM BUG. Eating eggs will kill you, fats are evil, protein kills your liver and the easter bunny is santa clause (hes batman)

We cook our meat doesn't do shit to the protein in that why should it hurt the whey, ok so you kill a few of the good things in it, just like you kill some of the nutrients in veggies when you cook them, does it make them a waste hell no. It like saying which protein would you buy the one w/ 20grams protein in 100cals or 1 w/ 20 grams in 105 cals, doesn't reallymake much difference you would get which ever is cheaper, so if creative baking is making it more appealing (as lower cost makes certain powders more appealing) then I say the more power too you.

Top Bottom