Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Do Calories Count on Keto?

barnidge

I am 220 lbs. and started the keto diet last week. I am wondering whether calories really count on the keto diet or does the diet provide a metabolic advantage making calories less of a factor in fat loss?

Thanks.

Dear Barnidge,

Just look at a Ketonic diet just like you would look at any other diet. Take your weight and multiply it by 12, this is your BMR (basal-metabolic-rate)=calories you need to maintain.
Now, here's a sample BMR schedule for a 6/1 CKD:
Day:
1->BMR-5%
2->BMR-20%
3->BMR
4->BMR-10%
5->BMR-15%
6->BMR-5%
7->BMR+10/15% (carb-up)

Mr.X :cool:

NO... don't count at all... its all about efficiency...

your body burns fat at a much faster rate than carbs...

thus you can actually intake a higher number of calories
if they are all fat and protein because they get burned
off quicker....

THATS ASSUMING YOU ARE IN KETOSIS

Mr. X what if you are weight lifting 4 days of the week and doing cardio (30 mins) 3 days of the week, should you still use that BMR schedule you posted? cus right now im 175lbs and mutliplying that by 12 would be 2100. Now in your schedule you subtract anywhere from 20%-5% of the BMR. But say im on day 2 and it says -20%, that'd only be 1680 calories. Wouldn't that be kinda low if your'e working out 4 times a week, and doing cardio 3 times a week?

NO... don't count at all... its all about efficiency...

here's a little gem for you...

---------------

No, it is total calories in vs. total calories out that is the major
factor in fat gain/retention. Those arguing that it's an insulin issue
need to read some more.

You can gain fat with low insulin levels by eating too many calories.

Because of a little bastard called acylation stimulation protein that
doesn't need insulin to store fat in fat cells.

--------------

so yeah calories count even in ketosis

Dear Blaze,

If you are 6 days in ketosis and train 4 days out of the 6, then try using a 5-10% calorie deficit on the days you train. Now, use 15-20% deficit on the days you don't train. Just make sure you have a deficit in the first place, because, remember, calories DO count.

Mr.X :cool:

Calories do count. Your AMR may go up on a ketogenic diet, but if you eat over that, you will gain weight. 'The Anabolic Diet' is specifically about a CKD that is used to add weight. You can in general, though, eat as much as you want because most people aren't very hungry once they get into ketosis. Ketones suppress appetite, and it's hard to eat a lot of food when all you're eating is meat. The foods seem to be more 'heavy' if that makes any sense.

I don't know the details of the "Anabolic Diet", but I don't think I'd used any form of "keto" diet to try and gain weight (muscle). The lack of insulin would make it very hard, I would think.

Top Bottom