Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Decline or Flat Bench Press

hulse

On my chest day I do incline bench using a bar. Would I benefit more from decline with a bar or flat with db's for my second motion?

hulse said:
On my chest day I do incline bench using a bar. Would I benefit more from decline with a bar or flat with db's for my second motion?
I do incline bench and flat bench on my chest day.

I say flat is more beneficial for chest developement and increasing strength. I actually stopped doing decline because I didnt like doing more weight on decline than on flat. It was strange. I think I read somewhere that decline isn't even necessary for proper chest developement- say to look good and whatnot. Incline is good stuff though.

Decline has sure lost favor. I remember years ago everyone was doing decline. Now the gyms here don't even have decline benches.

Fine with me, I always get tired of trying to remember so many different lifts...

hulse said:

That's a good Q matey.

I'd probably have to look at your chest and technique, etc. but I'd guess that the dumbells would be a better exercise. My chest exercises are:

Low incline Bench (25 deg is perfect)

Flat dumbel Press (occasionally)

Weighted Dips

Cross bench dumbel pullovers

I don't do flats myself because it gets to my injured shoulder and tends to blast my triceps as much as my chest. The Dips are very similar to declines but require more stabalisation (they are more basic and are a closed chain exercise) so I prefer them.

If you get on well with falt benches, then why not do INCLINE dumbell presses as your second exercise because they will be both at a different angle AND require a differnt technique as they are dumbells.

Top Bottom