Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Deadlifts - slow or explosive off the floor?

Jim Ouini

One thing I noticed lifting with bands and lifting with lighter weights...it forces you to really pull fast otherwise the band will start tugging (and actually it rounds my back I think).

I've always been very careful not to yank the bar for fear of back injury. My form is usually pretty slow and deliberate off the floor...when I added the bands it really brought that to light.

So I've learned now to be a little faster, it makes it easier so I guess this is where bar speed and acceleration come into play.

Now I'm wondering as I'm approaching max weights if I should take the same approach. I've seen vids of some of the big boys and they all seem to attack the bar and 'rip it'. Obviously it won't be as fast as my lighter weights but if I should have the same mindset - a little dip with the shoulders and hips and then pull explosively.

Or continue with my careful, constant (slow) velocity off the floor...any thoughts? Do you grip and rip?

It depends on the rep scheme. I dont train the deadlift as often anymore and my numbers have improved by insane amounts. I do speed work with deadlifts with different grips. Snatch grip deads help a lot. But when doing the speed work, I pause at the bottom and then rip it off the ground as fast as possible. I dont believe in bands for deads. Bands on squats will help your dead tremendously.

Yeah I've heard from a few people that training dead less frequently is better. But I actually like doing them, heh. Anyway, I also did snatch grip speed deads off a platform, mostly to help my starts.

slyder190 said:
I'd go slow and pay attention to form. Too fast and careless and result in one mother of an injury.

Definitely. Happens all the time. There's no benefit to trying to lift fast, and only a big downside.

i explode on the way up and control the weight on the way down then explode again. a touch and go method. as soon as the weigh touches the floor GO!!! EXPLODE!!! THEN CONTROL!!

Top Bottom