Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

deadlifting- off the floor vs. rack?

MsBeverlyHills

my gym has a new deadlifting wood floor area... but we also have a dead raised platform w/the bar on a rack in front of it.

I can pull more weight from the rack, but on the floor- if you get in trouble you can easily put the bar down & you dont have to re-rack it.

which would you guys use?

Why can you pull more from the rack than the floor? With either of the racks at my gym, there is only 1" or so clearance from the bottom of a 45lb plate. But that rack also has a large area to move it since it's the same rack as the squat rack. *Hammer Rack*

Now if you're talking about the elevated rack that I use for SDLs, that's a different story. I'd never think of using that rack for regular deadlifts. The last thing I want to be doing after a heavy set is to try and put the weights back into that small cradle.

its an elevated platform w/an elevated rack! LOL... since Im starting higher Ican pull more than starting from the floor. Also since the platforms elevated the 45 plates clear the platform- so you get a deeper stretch on the deads.

so which one sexyguy?

MsBeverlyHills said:
its an elevated platform w/an elevated rack! LOL... since Im starting higher Ican pull more than starting from the floor. Also since the platforms elevated the 45 plates clear the platform- so you get a deeper stretch on the deads.

so which one sexyguy?
I only worry about the stretch on the SDLs. On heavy deadlifts I'm more concerned with proper form and grip. From the floor for heavy deadlifts, from the rack for SDLs.

personally i would stick with pulling fromt he floor exactly for the reason you mentioned you get into to trouble you can just drop the bar. you wouldnt belive how much more leverage you have when starting a pull 3 inches from the floor..if you want to do rack deads do them in a power rack this way you can just as easily drop the bar and not have to worry about it..not to say you cant do deads from that new platform but i think its better suited for BB rows..i do sldl on the floor you dont need elevation to get a stretch..

wnt2bBeast said:
personally i would stick with pulling fromt he floor exactly for the reason you mentioned you get into to trouble you can just drop the bar. you wouldnt belive how much more leverage you have when starting a pull 3 inches from the floor..if you want to do rack deads do them in a power rack this way you can just as easily drop the bar and not have to worry about it..not to say you cant do deads from that new platform but i think its better suited for BB rows..i do sldl on the floor you dont need elevation to get a stretch..

Try touching your toes with the bar on SDLs from the floor. ;)

I seen a dude in my gym doing deads 3-4 inches up on a platform bending further down to do deads, i guess it really pumps the lower back up, i think its more for strength then anything though, although i never have tryed it, it looks tuff and it could help

personally i like off the floor deads... racks are good too once and awhile to get past a mid sticking point on reg deads.

strongsmartsexy said:
Try touching your toes with the bar on SDLs from the floor. ;)
.constant tension..the finns produced some great DL'ers most pulled from blocks but did sldl from the floor..

wnt2bBeast said:
.constant tension..the finns produced some great DL'ers most pulled from blocks but did sldl from the floor..
I believe that. It's just that you don't get near the stretch off the floor with SDLs as you do off a elevated platform. THe plates don't allow for that. When I"m really stretching them with ligher weights, I can almost touch my toes and not have the plates hit the floor.

strongsmartsexy said:
I believe that. It's just that you don't get near the stretch off the floor with SDLs as you do off a elevated platform. THe plates don't allow for that. When I"m really stretching them with ligher weights, I can almost touch my toes and not have the plates hit the floor.
ive tried it elevated and for me i felt more stretch in the low back than in my hams..but i lied i actually stand on 10lb plates sometimes lol

Top Bottom