Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Dead lifts

Kpereira34

Tweaked my lower back doing straight leg dead lifts. Looking for an alternative. Was told by a friend that it is pointless to go all the way down to the floor with your dead lift. Just bend over enough to isolate your lower back. What do you guys think,any other alternative???

There's no "replacement" for deads.
You could try doing back extensions if the pressure is too much from regular deads.

As for stiff leg deads, imo they are for hamstrings moreso than back. I feel if they are targeting the lower back, then your back is more than likely arched during the exercise. Isolate the hamstrings, keep the shoulders back as you would with a barbell row and with a traditional deadlift, and feel a huge difference. There should be little to no back muscle tension if this exercise is executed correctly.

Chest out, back flat, legs loose but locked, and feet about shoulder width apart angled slightly out. If you feel anything working besides the hamstrings your form is off. I stand on a block so I can get my knuckles down to the soles of my feet.

I use a belt when doing deads my back was starting to feel a little twitchy after heavy lifts and the belt helped me a lot I feel stronger with it too

I was told you really don't have to go that low.

I would go as low as you can. Keep the weight light enough to do sets of 12 plus reps. This will add mass and strengthen your posterior chain. So when you do regular dl you have a suit of armor to protect your back. They should engage your entire posterior chain, not just lower back. Another good alternative is good mornings.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using EliteFitness

your friend is wrong, that is a fact...
you go to floor or it is NOT a deadlift, it is called that, a deadlift, because the weight is 'dead' on the floor....
you probably need to lighten the weight a bit and get your form down...

Maybe not a traditional deadlift but still a great exercise. If you're not into power lifting and just want to work your erector spinae (which everyone should) then going to just below the knees is fine.

Its called a Romanian Deadlift(RDL) and its an assistance exercise. Not a replacement for conventional deadlifts, but an accessory to them.

Top Bottom