Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Competing 'naturally'???

PBR said:
basically backing what Daisy said...remember there is a price to pay for bodies like that...most have no concept...again, that is their life-they go to work to make their bodies marketable and get paid for it...however, it costs them too...alot...risk-time-effort-money-their life is not condusive to the norm...hence, they are above normal in features and performance...I have said this before in other posts, here and on the AB board...there is a very dark side to this world...stepping into it, is a life changing experience...to say the least.

You know, that is so true. We see the "good" in magazines, we don't see the sacrifices, the health issues, the long-term effects, etc. It is easy to want to look like a picture, but if we lived their lives - we might think differently.

I recently started Fitness Modelling, and at first I was SO gung-ho about it. I was ready to immerse myself in the fitness world totally. I have been doing that for about a year now, and recently have realize how detrimental it is to ME. For basically a year, I have felt worthless - I will never be good enough, thin enough, muscle-y enough, fit enough, etc. It is really hard determining your worth based off OTHER PEOPLE'S perception. Psychologically, it is not easy....let alone physically. What they do to their bodies to make money is NOT worth it, IMO.

I have now had to go back and TOTALLY reevaluate what my goals are....

Last edited:
Very good points!
I assumed that NANBF comps were totally drug free.
Here is a clip from the NANBF site: Competition in the NANBF is limited to bodybuilders who have not used any form of strength or growth enhancing drugs, hormones, or other substances including legal pharmaceutical substances intended by the athlete for strength or growth enhancement not medically prescribed. All athletes must be free from the use of these substances for a period of eighty-four months preceding the date of the contest.

Now I have ben to these comps and some of these people look natural and some look like they have had a bit of help. Just wondered how strict these comps are....guess it just depends??
I have no problem at all with people using or not using. Just wanted a straight answer;)

No matter what, they have worked very hard to get that awesome body!

That's the problem - there IS no straight answer. It's like lying about not taking drugs is somehow better than telling the truth about taking them. :confused: Wanting to compete doesn't mean you have to take drugs, but at the higher levels and in certain federations, depending on the "look" they promote, there's a higher likelihood your competition might be taking them.

Even in the drug-tested competitions, there will always be some cheaters who try to fool the test and get away with it. But that's like life in general - there are always going to be cheaters out there no matter where you are or what you do. So, as long as you understand that and don't get disillusioned by it, don't let it stop you from doing what you want.

Daisy_Girl said:
You know, that is so true. We see the "good" in magazines, we don't see the sacrifices, the health issues, the long-term effects, etc. It is easy to want to look like a picture, but if we lived their lives - we might think differently.

I recently did some Fitness Modelling, and when it started I was SO gung-ho about it. I was ready to immerse myself in the fitness world totally. I have been doing that for about a year now, and recently have realize how detrimental it is to ME. For basically a year, I have felt worthless - I will never be good enough, thin enough, muscle-y enough, fit enough, etc. It is really hard determining your worth based off OTHER PEOPLE'S perception. Psychologically, it is not easy....let alone physically. What they do to their bodies to make money is NOT worth it, IMO.

I have now had to go back and TOTALLY reevaluate what my goals are....
Daisy it took me years to re-program myself to not want to be 285# @ 6% BF and compete...Very Good post BTW...Its like an onion-you start peeling the layers away to find out what the truth behind the matter is?? There are so many questions to be answered when this road is come upon...Its like you finally realize after all this "WTF is this for?"....does it really matter? who really cares? where is this going to take me? who is benefiting from it?...dont get me wrong- this life style has many great aspects to it...its when it becomes all consuming and an obsession (narcistic) that you must stop and think of all that is involved...

Everything you said in your posts is so true. I constantly find myself battling it out for balance. I put a lot of effort into eating right, planning my meals, and training. I also put a lot of effort into my family, my three daughters, my education etc... I sometimes find it hard not to equate my self worth with what I see in the mirror! Anyone else?? I put a lot of effort into my phsyical appearance (not just for appearance, but for all the other good stuff I get out of it) so it's sometimes hard to separate myself from this wrapping. Of course, it's especially hard to not be consumed by it for me because I'm also studying to be a nutritionist and this lifestyle really is my biggest interest. For me, I find it can be a double edged sword. Of course, I can rationally look at a picture of Beth Horn (or whoever) and say, "Look, she's had no kids, this is her lifestyle, her income etc..." but really, there's a little voice in the back of my head whispering.... It doesn't stop me from trying to be the best me I can be. For the most part, I'm happy with what I see, but sometimes I don't feel too happy with having to like what I see to be happy - ha ha, try and figure that one out! :confused: :confused:

Hmmmmmm....trying to "settle" for who you are and what you have...we constantly compare ourselves to everyone around us...we all do it...and as BB's we do it excessively...thats a daunting task and one that will never be fulfilled...some ZEN; "Comparison must be an ego device, for love makes none. Specialness always makes comparisons. It is established by a lack seen in another, and maintained by searching for, and keeping clear in sight, all lacks it can percieve."

You don't have to win a trophy to be a winner. If you are constantly improving and continually bettering yourself in whatever field you choose, that is really all that matters and that is what should give you the inspiration to keep going and to find satisfaction from within. How can there be a winner in this sport, the judging criteria is totally subjective anyway.

Drug tested or 'natural' federations are a joke. Most of those organisations barely have enough funds to run themselves let alone have the necessary funds to devote to meaningful drug testing.

vinylgroover said:
You don't have to win a trophy to be a winner. If you are constantly improving and continually bettering yourself in whatever field you choose, that is really all that matters and that is what should give you the inspiration to keep going and to find satisfaction from within.

Nice post....well said and very mature. :)

PBR said:
Hmmmmmm....trying to "settle" for who you are and what you have...we constantly compare ourselves to everyone around us...we all do it...and as BB's we do it excessively...thats a daunting task and one that will never be fulfilled...some ZEN; "Comparison must be an ego device, for love makes none. Specialness always makes comparisons. It is established by a lack seen in another, and maintained by searching for, and keeping clear in sight, all lacks it can percieve."

"...maintained by searching for, and keeping clear in sight, all lacks it can perceive." So very true! I like that. Thanks for sharing it.

If you are constantly improving and continually bettering yourself in whatever field you choose, that is really all that matters and that is what should give you the inspiration to keep going and to find satisfaction from within.

I totally agree. I guess for me though, it's that "constantly improving" and bettering of myself that makes me never feel quite settled with where I'm at. That's the part that I find difficult. I want to be better all the time. I try to remember where I came from instead of where I have not yet been, but it doesn't always work that way.
Funny, I was looking at a picture of myself taken about 2 years ago, before I got pregnant with my last daughter. I was in incredible shape - hard and cut. At the time, I really thought I was in decent shape, but nothing amazing! Now, as I'm working on getting that body back, I can't believe I didn't see it then! Just too hard on myself I guess.

I competed naturally about 2 years ago. If you enter drug tested events this evens the playing field a little (although there are ways to beat drug tests). I won my novice division, came in second in the heavyweight class and overall. Then my second contest was an NPC show which is not drug tested. I came in second being beat out by an obvious heavy steriod user (back zits, square jaw, etc). So, as you move on and move up it becomes almost impossible for a natural person to win over a steroid user. The choice for me was do a cycle and take it to the next level or stop. So I did a cycle and I have been struggling ever since trying to get the cycle weight off of me. I would have not done the cycle because I think it really altered my metabolism.

I do know of a girl who is 100% natural and who has beaten the steroid women. But, she is genetically gifted and now she faces a national level show where she can go pro. She won't be able to stand next to the woman at this level and win. She is now faced with doing a cycle or staying stuck at her current level.

I also know a few girls who compete naturally in figure and do very well.

Sure you can compete naturally but in my opinion the pro's probably all do cycles so a natural vs. a steroid user is not going to stand a chance.

You can get in phenominal shape naturally and win the lower level shows but to progress your going to have to do a cycle, or stay in the natural circuit of competition.

I'd post some pics of my natural competition shape if I coud figure it out....

Top Bottom