Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Close Grip Bench: Elbows in or flared out?

In

ive seen the "elbows out" examples. nice on the wrists, real good on the tendons too. like a sissy squat for your elbows. plus with the odd position that puts your shoulders in, its a double whammy. no thanks, i'll keep using what PL'ers find to be very tried and true for tricep work.

JoBu said:
cwick0-When you let your elbows go out you are forced to use your pecs to bring them back together as you press the weight up. If you keep your elbows in it starts to resemble an isolation move (think skull crusher) where maximum stress is placed on the tris.

halfaclue-when you dip you should let your elbows flare and lean into it (holding your legs out behind you) as much as possible for max chest involvement. Think about exagerating the forward lean to the point of resembling a push-up (a chest move). if you want to target your tris with dips then keep your elbows in tight and your body straight up and down...if your elbows are pinned to your sides you can't possible be using your pecs to any great degree. Same thing with push-ups...the tighter you keep your elbows, the more your tris get targeted.

JoBu

I think i have just been letting myself lean forward to much. Thanks bro.

bignate73 said:
ive seen the "elbows out" examples. nice on the wrists, real good on the tendons too. like a sissy squat for your elbows. plus with the odd position that puts your shoulders in, its a double whammy. no thanks, i'll keep using what PL'ers find to be very tried and true for tricep work.
agree..you said it better than i did lol

JoBu said:
cwick0-When you let your elbows go out you are forced to use your pecs to bring them back together as you press the weight up. If you keep your elbows in it starts to resemble an isolation move (think skull crusher) where maximum stress is placed on the tris.

JoBu

If i used a really narrow grip to do close-grip that would be the case, however, i have a very wide torso. So, my hands are a little farther apart than most, ~8 inches or so. Therefore when i come down my arms collapse straight down, effectively isolating my tris.

Secondly skull crushers are not that great.

bignate73 said:

Nice on the wrists...it is entirely up to the person where they place their hands and it is their responsibility to find the best placement for their hands to alleviate the unnecessary torquing of their wrists.

Yep, elbows out...just like a sissy squat, LMAO.

It just goes to show that a lot of us train with different styles, techniques, and goals. Fortunately, we have joined in one location to offer our styles and techniques so others can see what we are doing.

Top Bottom