Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Close Grip Bench: Elbows in or flared out?

InTraining

What do you prefer? I'm trying to get "maximum" triceps involvement and push the most weight...also going to do be doing these in the 5-6 Rep range and I find my elbows flare out in the later reps anyways...so maybe it's more natural?

Eager to hear responses.

i set up and execute the exact same way i do bench except i do not bring the weight all the way down rather i stop a few inches above and dont completely lock out..

Hey Bro,

If you want to incorporate the most triceps and take your pecs/delts out of the movement as much as possible, keep your elbows in tight. As your triceps begin to burn out, your elbows are probably flairing to recruit more chest/delts. I find the same thing happens to me.

Elbow in for max tri work...same goes for any tri move...dips, cable press-downs, DB overhead press...you'll be able to push more weight if you let the elbows flare out, but it's not because your tris are doing the work.

JoBu said:
Elbow in for max tri work...same goes for any tri move...dips, cable press-downs, DB overhead press...you'll be able to push more weight if you let the elbows flare out, but it's not because your tris are doing the work.

I thought with dips when you kept your elbows in it was more for chest because it cause you to lean where as letting your elbows out alllows more straight up and down movement???

ELBOWS OUT!

With your close grip, the weight should collapse upon your elbows, forcing your elbows out and removing your chest from the exercise.

I try to keep them in...
But I find it inevitable to flare if you pushing anything more than a nominal weight... espically if you lock out at the bottom.

So I lowered the weight for now. to get perfect form, and am climbing 5lbs at a time.

My problem I find when doing those is that with the heavier weight and lockouts, and ending reps that i push a bit forward and not so much up... therefore accidently working my chest and less my tris!!! GRRRR

cwick0-When you let your elbows go out you are forced to use your pecs to bring them back together as you press the weight up. If you keep your elbows in it starts to resemble an isolation move (think skull crusher) where maximum stress is placed on the tris.

halfaclue-when you dip you should let your elbows flare and lean into it (holding your legs out behind you) as much as possible for max chest involvement. Think about exagerating the forward lean to the point of resembling a push-up (a chest move). if you want to target your tris with dips then keep your elbows in tight and your body straight up and down...if your elbows are pinned to your sides you can't possible be using your pecs to any great degree. Same thing with push-ups...the tighter you keep your elbows, the more your tris get targeted.

JoBu

cwick0 said:
ELBOWS OUT!

With your close grip, the weight should collapse upon your elbows, forcing your elbows out and removing your chest from the exercise.

Top Bottom