Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

clean and press routine question

Krakistophales

I've been trying to get the clean and press up for a long time now and it seems to have been proceeding at a snail's pace.

My last best CP was 205 for a single. Afterwards I dropped down to 50% of that to go ahead and do triples work, with the goal being to hit 205 for at least a triple, if not 2 or 3. Well, all went very well until today, when it was time to hit 185 for 3 triples and I totally bombed out.

The first triple went, but the last rep was hard at the clean. The second set was heavy with the 2nd rep, and I just couldn't clean the weight up anymore.

So, in short, the question is: What should I do? Should I try and bring my 1RM up further so the lighter reps will become easier, or should I simply set more achievable goals, like just being able to triple that weight for 1 triple instead of 3?

With little detail of your overall routine, why don't you try just Clean triples one workout followed by Push Press triples the next. The point is to improve the main elements of the lift separately. It's likely you could do Clean triples with 205 or more.

My problem isn't the press, it's the clean. I could probably press 225 overhead at least once, but I can't clean 215 up to my shoulders yet.

I don't like separating the movements, though, since the idea is to do them together, so I train them together. It's also done in a power clean style, with no squatting under the bar. I think I'm going to try the wendler's for a while, it looks very promising and encompasses all 4 big lifts.

My problem isn't the press, it's the clean. I could probably press 225 overhead at least once, but I can't clean 215 up to my shoulders yet.

I don't like separating the movements, though, since the idea is to do them together, so I train them together. It's also done in a power clean style, with no squatting under the bar. I think I'm going to try the wendler's for a while, it looks very promising and encompasses all 4 big lifts.

You might want to look at some of the assistance lifts Olympic lifters use. For me, front squats, clean shrugs, and explosive good mornings have a noticeable impact on my cleans.

I like heavy, heavy high pulls to train for cleans.. then do front squats heavier than normal afterwards.. allows for bigger weight than if the entire motion is completed at once.. eventually you'll put it all together.

Kaz Training: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1plZoN7Ec0
"Conceive, Believe, Achieve!!"
-Bill Kazmaier, Strength Legend & Philanthropist

You are simply over training the movement and getting burned out. Stop the cp for heavy weights, instead train the move with 50% for technique work and train the weak area of your cp. If its the clean then do heavy hang cleans and upright rows. Do this for a couple weeks like 3 then retest your max. Your only as strong as your weakest link, find it and make it your best assest. In the future pyramid your training to avoid burnout and do extra work on your weaknesses.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using EliteFitness

Agreed. I like that - determine weakest link and attack.

I like High Pulls more than Upright rows for that though. (High Pull = Dynamic clean from floor but stopping at point where bar passes chin.. don't turn wrists to catch.. )

Research the form - study it. Tape yourself. Show it to any expert you can find. Hell upload it here - lots of pros around. Keep up the grind.

Kaz Fan Page:
www.facebook.com/BillKazmaier
Conceive, Believe, Achieve!

Top Bottom