Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Cardio with hurt knee...

softballgirl

Hey guys...
I hurt my knee playing softball a couple weeks ago. It was too too bad, but then this past sunday, we had 3 games and like an idiot, i played all three, just "shaking" it off...anyways..now...it really hurts. Can I say
"D-U-M-M-Y"!!!! I really don't think I can workout my lower body very well. But, I can't totally NOT do anything either. Does anyone have any suggestions on anything I can do for cardio/weights???? All help is appreciated!!! :)
Have a gooden'...

You can still do upper body? And maybe the recumbant bike would be good for cardio - at least takes the pressure of your weight off your knee. But if it hurts, do the old ice/heat thing for it and give it a chance to recover. Otherwise trying to do more cardio on it may just aggravate it and keep you out longer. Recovery time is every bit as training time. Maybe even more!

Good luck!

Thx Sassy for replying....I'm not sure if I should go to the dr. about this or just apply ice/heat to it. It's really hurting today...right under the kneecap...???? I'll try the recumbent bike..hopefully, i can do that. If not, oh well...I'll just have to wait, I guess...:bawling:
Should I apply both ice and heat alternating or what????

If it still hurts you alot - I don't know what you did to start the whole thing - you might want to go to the doc - maybe something cracked? Knees are scary - its an important joint to have working. If it hurts to do anything physical on it, DON'T. They always say that if something is broken (bone) you WILL know it. Then definitely go to a doc, get an x-ray.

I'm not a doc so I don't really know the right approach for sprains, etc. Heat I think will actually aggravate a sprain (swelling). In the gym in general, sometimes helps to just warm it up before you start doing anything, then afterwards (when you are cooled down) try putting ice on it. Ice is good for swelling.

Probably not much help, but I'd give it a few days if the pain is kind of dull and not really irritating unless you put weigh on it. If the pain isn't going down, I'd see a doc.

Softballgirl:

Cycling will have far less impact and hence stress on your knee than running or general aerobic exercise.

Swimming will have virtually no impact/stress on your knee. It is very useful for fitness.

You could also try doing weight training as an aerobic exercise. Light weights / high reps / no pauses to get your heart rate up and than maintain it.

BTW: I have dislocated my right knee about 50 times in my life. I am lax jointed, it's only in the last couple of years that this has stopped me due to weight training.

hardgainer (my 2 cents)

Here is my suggestion.

Do the stationary bike or elliptical rider. Stay away from the cardio that puts added stresses on the knee...Stairmaster and treadmill.

As for your leg workout here are a few suggestions.

1. do squats while holding on to the squat rack or any piece of equipment that will allow you to hold on with your hands directly in front of you. With this in mind, hold onto a piece of equipment with your hands directly in front of you. put your feet shoulder width apart and squat downj as far as you can. If you feel any pain then stop at that point and go back up. do as may reps as you can...SLOW. do 3 to 4 sets. If this hurts too bad then you better go see a DOC. Females are more supseptable to ACL injuries than males....

If you have any other questions please feel free to email me....GOOD LUCK

Thanks for the input guys...the bike seems to work pretty good. The knee isn't hurting as much today, but I still can't put a whole lot of weight on it yet. I'll try the squats SH and see how they work for me. I hate not working out legs. That's my favorite body part. As for the doctor, I have an appt., but not until July.:( Oh well, I'll have to make do until then.:) Thanks again!!

Top Bottom