Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Can someone explain what this DHT study means?

Oceano

Objective: To determine the role of androgen receptor (AR) activation for adipose tissue metabolism. Sex steroids are important regulators of adipose tissue metabolism in men. Androgens may regulate the adipose tissue metabolism in men either directly by stimulation of the AR or indirectly by aromatization of androgens into estrogens and, thereafter, by stimulation of the estrogen receptors. Previous studies have shown that estrogen receptor stimulation results in reduced fat mass in men.

Research Methods and Procedures: Orchidectomized mice were treated with the non-aromatizable androgen 5-dihydrotestosterone (DHT), 17ß-estradiol, or vehicle. VO2, VCO2, resting metabolic rate, locomotor activity, and food consumption were measured. Furthermore, changes in hepatic gene expression were analyzed.

Results: DHT treatment resulted in obesity, associated with reduced energy expenditure and fat oxidation. In contrast, DHT did not affect food consumption or locomotor activity. Furthermore, DHT treatment resulted in increased high-density lipoprotein-cholesterol and triglyceride levels associated with markedly decreased 7-hydroxylase gene expression, indicating decreased bile acid production.

Discussion: We showed that AR activation results in obesity and altered lipid metabolism in orchidectomized mice. One may speculate that AR antagonists might be useful in the treatment of obesity in men.

http://www.obesityresearch.org/cgi/content/abstract/14/4/662

In terms of bodyfat, what does this mean?

the results seem counterintuitive - unless you're a mouse with your nuts cut off it probably doesnt apply lol

dihydrotestosterone in a vacuum vs dihydrotestosterone as part of the hormone soup that would result from normal conversion from test (since the test would also reduce into other compunds like estrogen)

normally you would expect lowered bodyfat and lowered HDL - here the results were the opposite.

where is fonz when you need him ?

any one else have any thoughts on this?

pretty much higher androgen levels in men results in increases fat free mass,,,,,proven time and time again,,,believe me i would rather have higher than lower dht levels in my blood stream...go ahead take dutasteride(from an actual pharmacy, not something you bought from the internet without a prescription) see what happens to your bodyfat and strenght)

If you notice (in the full text) the total bodyweight of the rat is only marginally higher than the others, yet the visceral, brown and gonadal fat tissue increased significantly. This means the subcutaneous fat tissue must have went down. So I wouldn’t say DHT makes you a fat ass. Remember finesteride, which reduces DHT, causes you to gain more subcutaneous fat tissue and water. (Making you look soft and bloated) Basically, DHT will “harden” and “lean” you out on the surface just as we assume it will, but it increases your internal organ fat. (not really a good thing, depending on how you look at it)

Also, consider the quote directly from the study -

“Because brown adipose tissue is probably absent in adult humans, the effects of DHT on brown adipose tissue size and its CPT-1 expression are not relevant to the human situation in terms of an androgen response.”

The conclusion of the study that “antagonism of the AR may be useful for the treatment of obesity” is absolutely insane. Sounds like another attempt to patent a drug, make a dollar, and reduce our manlihood. If your doc ever prescribes an AR antagonist… run away.

-Pp

Primordial Performance said:
If you notice (in the full text) the total bodyweight of the rat is only marginally higher than the others, yet the visceral, brown and gonadal fat tissue increased significantly. This means the subcutaneous fat tissue must have went down. So I wouldn’t say dihydrotestosterone makes you a fat ass. Remember finesteride, which reduces DHT, causes you to gain more subcutaneous fat tissue and water. (Making you look soft and bloated) Basically, DHT will “harden” and “lean” you out on the surface just as we assume it will, but it increases your internal organ fat. (not really a good thing, depending on how you look at it)

Also, consider the quote directly from the study -

“Because brown adipose tissue is probably absent in adult humans, the effects of DHT on brown adipose tissue size and its CPT-1 expression are not relevant to the human situation in terms of an androgen response.”

The conclusion of the study that “antagonism of the AR may be useful for the treatment of obesity” is absolutely insane. Sounds like another attempt to patent a drug, make a dollar, and reduce our manlihood. If your doc ever prescribes an AR antagonist… run away.

-Pp
This is why we love having pp around.

dht is bad anyway you look at it in my opinion. bad on hair if your prone, causes prostate swelling, bad for your skin(its one of the main causes for acne). why would anyone want elevated dht levels?

I actually favor DHT… except for this little organ fat side effect... However, most DHEA and 7-keto metabolites offset this effect. (something the rats didnt have in this study)

Studdies have been done that show DHT and the androstane metabolites actually shrink and reverse prostate swelling… especially when estrogen is absent. Hair loss and acne are very circumstantial side-effects only some individual have problems with.

-Pp

no i said elevated levels are bad, i guess my opening sentence wasnt clear. dht good, elevated dht bad

Top Bottom