Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

calories to lose, maintain

I'd like to reiterate something Patterson mentioned - I honestly believe, as she, that "calories" themselves mean nothing. CHO/PRO/FAT ratio has meant the most for me throughout the experiments I've done upon myself.

By 'experiments,' I mean, since I majored in Nutrition, throughout college I experiemented with different 'diets.' Almost exclusively calorie fluctuation. For instance. I'm a 22yo male, weight about 170 (give or take 5 lbs), and have about 9-11% body fat depending on the time of year. I've tried every calorie level from 2000 to 4500+ (traveling thru Europe, walking 10+ miles/day). Guess what, I had absolutely no change to my weight or appearance (besides for looking tired as hell on 2k cals). If you're in a healthy state, I believe restricting your calorie will only cause you to have less energy. You see, your body is trying to stay alive. If you eat less, it must decrease it's activity to stay in balance, otherwise you'd begin to starve... that's bad. Your body will not let that happen if at all possible. The result = you eat less, thus you have less energy, yet don't lose any weight. What fun is that!? Ack. I'd rather have the energy to workout and build more muscle than feel/look like crap and waste away.

Also, when I was walking 10+miles a day during the month I was in Europe, I didn't gain a pound even though I ate everything in site. I actually ate an entire jar of peanut butter one day (they don't sell peanut butter in Europe, so once I found one, I went to town!). :D

My point? Counting calories doesn't work, at least not for active individuals. It may work for couch-patato housewives on Jenny Craig, but not for us. Stop counting calories, watch your CHO/PRO/FAT ratios, stay away from too much sugar/refined foods, and enjoy yourself. Your body will thank you for not starving it for once. :rolleyes:

:fro:

This is a great thread. I want to second two pieces of advice I've read here (echos my own experience). As spatterson said, you've got to listen to your body, that's HUGELY important. Your energy and macronutrient needs are changing all the time. This leads into Hawks observation that counting calories is unproductive at best for a bodybuilder, and that activity level and muscle mass are more important (if you learn how to listen to your body). Overlay this with good basic (mostly 'clean') BB eating habits and you will never have weight problems unless you have some underlying pathology.

This is sooo good for me to read right now. I have been seriously down trying to figure out what the hell is wrong with my body. I had a blood test last month to determine if I have hypothyroid and, since the results came back normal, have scheduled a follow-up with my doc for the actual thyroid test.

Here's my situation. I have dieted on and off VERY strictly for the past year or two for BB & figure shows. Now I'm stuck at 121 lbs (5'4"), which is a good 6 lbs heavier than I have always maintained (even with low BF), and CANNOT seem to shake those extra pounds. My hubby thinks I'm not eating enough to compensate for the expenditures from cardio (up until last week, 5 days of running outdoors) and weights (heavy, 4 days a week). He has suggested that I take my cardio down to 20 minutes, three days a week, and do HIIT 3 days a week on weights. As scared as I am to try this, I have started as of today.

My cal intake is approximately 1600 a day, 50% carbs, 30% protein, 20% fat. I'm switching back to a 40/40/20 ratio, which seemed to do the trick for me over the summer when I got down to 115 lbs.

Any suggestions? Advice? HELP! I'm feeling beyond desperate.

Top Bottom