Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

bulk up then lean up or lean up then bulk up???

CUBANITO said:
As of right now, im 5'11 at 175 pds. My goal is to get to 200 pds and then cut up. Hopefully ill reach my goal by next year. Do you guys think 200 pds is reasonable weight for my height? In a month ill be doing a fina/dbol/test cycle hopefully ill be a least 190pds.

it depends on wht your goals are. Do you just want to get a little bigger (that's how we all start out LOL), doing it to pick up women or do you plan to compete? If competition, then I'd say you need to keep gaining a bit above that.

Last week of dieting for me!! 6"5 and currently 256lbs. I will
keep this last week VERY strict, and then....operation Bulkup will
commence. I would like to get to about 285 then I cut it from
there. We'll see. Dude, I have three things to say to you...
EAT..EAT...EAT!! Eat to grow!! Lean down later.
g

serge said:
arnold at his best was 235lb at 6'2, can anyone seriously call him lanky?

That was at a competition ready 4% and dry. When someone bulks up to 235 they will have to diet off a good deal of weight to dial it in. For most that would then leave them aroun 200 so it's really not that big for someone whom is 6'2. Genneraly for someone 6'2 a ripped 240 is an "offseason or bulked" 280, so there is a huge difference between a bulked 235 and a ripped 235.

Beezers said:

That was at a competition ready 4% and dry. When someone bulks up to 235 they will have to diet off a good deal of weight to dial it in. For most that would then leave them aroun 200 so it's really not that big for someone whom is 6'2. Genneraly for someone 6'2 a ripped 240 is an "offseason or bulked" 280, so there is a huge difference between a bulked 235 and a ripped 235.

i dont know about you but i never go over 20lb off my peak, and that ussually takes eating ice cream burgers and pizza, total of about 7000cals per day, if i take in clean 5000cals per day i dont go over 10lb off my peak

but in arnolds case, the heaviest he has ever been is 260lb (according to his unathorised biography, and his website). when he preped for his Olympia in 1980, he got ready for it in 3months, now you cant possibly tell me he went up from 210lb to 280lb and droped down to 235lb in 3months.

but all of that does not mean anything, since we dont know how good of a shape they that posted the question is, he might be 206lb 20%bf, or 5%.

Yes, but have you ever been in competion shape? There is a difference between cut and stage ready. And for someone with superior genetics as was arnolds case 260 down to 240 is beleivable...Though he probably was heavier. For most in the last week alone 10 pounds is lost from water. If you diet off 20 pounds and then the final three days before the show shed every millilitier of sub-Q water you will have totaled 30 pounds of weight lost.

Beezers said:
Yes, but have you ever been in competion shape? There is a difference between cut and stage ready. And for someone with superior genetics as was arnolds case 260 down to 240 is beleivable...Though he probably was heavier. For most in the last week alone 10 pounds is lost from water. If you diet off 20 pounds and then the final three days before the show shed every millilitier of sub-Q water you will have totaled 30 pounds of weight lost.

i agree about the pre-comp weight loss, but back in the day they did not use t-3 or dnp, so once you factor in the time spent going up from 210lb, then droping back down to 235-240lb, it seem kinda extreme for a 3moths span.

just out of curieosity, what bulking approach to you take, how many cals per lb of body weight do you consume, what nutrient ratios do you use? 40lb difference seems kinda extreme

I am now a firm believer that you have to bulk up first and then lean up, because you don't realize how much weight you have to loose to get that ripped look, you loose alot of weight, and some of that is muscle. Before you realize it you have dropped the fat but also a bit of muscle and you look alot smaller than you had planned.

serge said:

i agree about the pre-comp weight loss, but back in the day they did not use t-3 or dnp, so once you factor in the time spent going up from 210lb, then droping back down to 235-240lb, it seem kinda extreme for a 3moths span.

just out of curieosity, what bulking approach to you take, how many cals per lb of body weight do you consume, what nutrient ratios do you use? 40lb difference seems kinda extreme

I don't know that I neccessarily beleive he went from 210->260->240 in 12 weeks. This "may" be exagerated to dramaticize his "comeback" and further his legend...Nothing against arnold, but all people do this.

My bulking strategy is that of discipline and dedication. I eat clean all the time and don't cheat. I'm 6'1 260 at 9%bf and for me to get into show shape it would be a 30-40 pound ordeal...even from 9%. The first and last day of the diet alone I would loose 10 pounds. This is my current bulking diet.

meal 1
3 scoops Isopure MRP

meal 2

16 egg whites

1.5 cups of oats

meal 3

10oz. chicken

8oz. sweet potato

meal 4(post training)

3 scoops whey

1 soar(110g maltodextrin)

meal 5(30 minutes later)

3 scoops Isopure MRP

55g maltodextrin

meal 6

10oz. chicken

8oz. sweet potato

meal 7

12oz. tuna

2 cups of brown rice

1 tbsn flax oil

1 cup bell peppers

meal 8

7oz. salmon

6 Broccoli spears

meal 9

12oz. tuna

2 cups of brown rice

1 tbsn flax oil

1 cup bell peppers

meal 10

1.5 pounds of cottage cheese

cals: 5935

pro: 593

carb: 680

fat: 80

Now to get this back to the original post. You have to amount the mass before you can show anything off and for taller guys they simply need a lot more weight to look substantial. That's why goals need to be set higher than thier ideal ripped weight because once all is said and done with after a diet you will always be smaller than you thought. That's why I preach to aim big to be big.

Top Bottom