Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Blood test results, help pls...

lykmei

Hello all,
New here, a friend of mine is always on in the guys section, and I have been doing some reading here.
Have a question for you.. been doing the sure slim diet http://www.sureslim.ca/
Worked out well for me, lost 42lbs in 4 monts, down to 133lbs, feel great.
Question is my blood tests... before starting diet my levels where as follows...

Cholesterol.. 5.90 range is 2.00--5.19 mmol/L
HDL Cholesterol.. 1.56 range is >1.10 mmol/L
CHOL:HDL Ratio.. 3.78 range is <4.4
LDL Cholesterol.. 3.95 range is 1.50--3.39 mmol/L

After 4 months, went back for same blood test, and results are as follows....

Cholesterol.. 5.23 range is 2.00--5.19 mmol/L
HDL Cholesterol.. 1.00 range is >1.10 mmol/L
CHOL:HDL Ratio.. 5.23 range is <4.4
LDL Cholesterol.. 3.82 range is 1.50--3.39 mmol/L

As you can see some of my numbers are out of range, could someone pls explain what this means as i have no scientific or lab background.

Prior to my sure slim diet, I would eat 21 eggs a week, (3eggs/day :)), whipping cream in my coffee, landjager sausages, and lots of red meat...and cheese..

None of your results are all that out of range, and the reference range or 'normal' range really only includes 95% of the population, it is a stats thing how they are constructed.

Other labs would have you in the 'normal' range.

Some of the very slight variation in your results could be to:

-the reagents in the lab
-how the analyser is performing
-your own natural variation that occurs from winter-spring/summer

I wouldn't worry about it. There is nothing shocking about your results.

Let me know if that answered you question, or if there is anything else you would like to know.

I would disagree only in that assuming the tests are from the same lab, there's a pretty big deterioration in lipid values. she should probably repeat the test to be sure.

the HDL deterioration is pretty dramatic -- almost like the diet consists of lots of trans fats lol

are you doing any supplements? drugs?

who is your friend on the guys section btw?

Mavafanculo said:
I would disagree only in that assuming the tests are from the same lab, there's a pretty big deterioration in lipid values. she should probably repeat the test to be sure.

the HDL deterioration is pretty dramatic -- almost like the diet consists of lots of trans fats lol

are you doing any supplements? drugs?

who is your friend on the guys section btw?

LOL, you do investigate cholesterol more than I do :)

You have a point if she is doing drugs, or eating a lot of 'low fat' diet products that have modified fats in them, however, cholesterol levels do change quite a bit with dieting.

I wasn't clear with my point. I think that people do get quite worried when their blood tests show up as slightly out of the reference range.

Often, there isn't a lot to worry about. Cholesterol, HDL/LDL is just one of the risk factors for heart disease.

It would be a good idea to check the levels again in three months and see if you can bring up your HDL.

Your HDL was better when you were eating more saturated fat and food with more cholesterol in it.

Some people do better eating cholesterol rich foods, it keeps their cholesterol in the healthy range.

You may want to think about what changes you had in your diet and what made the difference, and start to incorporate those foods again.

Tatyana said:
It would be a good idea to check the levels again in three months and see if you can bring up your HDL.

You may want to think about what changes you had in your diet and what made the difference, and start to incorporate those foods again.

Those would have been the two points that I would have made

Tatyana said:
LOL, you do investigate cholesterol more than I do :)

You have a point if she is doing drugs, or eating a lot of 'low fat' diet products that have modified fats in them, however, cholesterol levels do change quite a bit with dieting.

I wasn't clear with my point. I think that people do get quite worried when their blood tests show up as slightly out of the reference range.

Often, there isn't a lot to worry about. Cholesterol, HDL/LDL is just one of the risk factors for heart disease.

Your HDL was better when you were eating more saturated fat and food with more cholesterol in it.

Some people do better eating cholesterol rich foods, it keeps their cholesterol in the healthy range.

Thanks for the timely response,

I will recheck my levels again in about 3 months time, but its funny you mentioned that I do better with food with more cholesterol in it.

As for the changes in the diet, its all healthy food, no processed food at all, and of course, low carbs.

Any suggestions on bringing my HDL up again without hurting my weight results?

To answer Mavafanculo's question about doing trans fats and drugs etc, no to both. I do however take Omega3, 3 times /day, zinc once a day, and also B12 injections twice a week at 1ml per inject (product is 1000mcg/ml).

As for my guy friend , his log on name is "clink".

Just an aside, now that I have lost this weight, I have started weight training again, and am doing this program to tone me up..... http://www.johnberardi.com/articles/women/lean_2.htm

One thing I want you to think about, you said, and of course, low carbs.

I think people are far too carbophobic. Carbs are not the enemy and eating carbs is not going to all of a sudden have you gain weight.

I am pasting a post from Nelson Montana, I think he really sums it all up with this:

The bottom line is; when it comes to fat loss, our bodies don't react immediately to what we eat. It's the overall consumption of calories versus the expenditure of calories over time. So what you're doing now may not yield a visable effect until next week, or even next month.

It's an interesting experiment and one which most definitely a learning process. (And one both Tat and I have engaged in). It took me a long time to realize the diet theories I've written about and I got a lot of flack for it, but it became obvious what worked and what didn't. And I think most of those who have followed my plans will concur. You can eat pastrami sandwiches and chocolate chip cookies and lose weight if you utilize the calories. People think of certain foods as "bad" (like pizza) but that's not really true. 100 calories of butter is no different from 100 calories of rice cakes. (The butter is actually better, but that's another discussion). The body simply perceives it all as fuel units. You use it, or you store it. Keep that in mind and you'll stay on track.

You know when you're over eating or under training. The key is to put the macronutrient ration in favor of protein for muscle building purposes and after that, it's all about calories and training. Sure, there is also insulin secretion and catabolism and such, but these factors are less significant that many of the so called experts make them out to be. You don't need a personal coach to tell you it isn't a good idea to eat Fruit Loops and cupcakes. Diet is simple. People make it out to be difficult because it's something that is a long term process. Stay on course and the results are obvious. One way or the other.

A) Something isnt clicking - a change to or continuance of a "healthy diet" should raise/maintain hdl and lower/maintain ldl. your hdl went in the tank instead.

can you post a hi level summary of the diet you followed?

B) here are some supplements to help with cholesterol issues

1) policosanol 20mg evening (+hdl, -ldl, blood thinner also)

2) garlic - cardiac formula dose of garlique or garlicin etc (acts as a substitute/super hdl, clearing ldl and reducing new plaque formation - also a blood thinner)

3) inositol hexanicotinate (noflush niacin) - (one of the few substances to raise hdl)

4) red yeast extract - a natural form of lovastatin, the same ingredient found in prescription stain drugs - (- ldl)

5) psyllium seed husk products/ hi fiber diet (-ldl )

6) diet high in unsaturated fats ("good fats" from vegetbles) mostly monostaurated fats which will raise hdl (olive oil, peanut oils, walnuts etc)

7) cardio, 30 minutes 3x weekly - even brisk walk - (increases hdl)

8) obviously a diet low in "bad fats" (saturated fats- meat and diary, and trans fats)

9) Fish Oil supplements or fish (better balanced than omega-3 pills) reduce risk of CV event and plaque formation .

10) Grape Seed Extract (-ldl, maybe +hdl, more important prevent oxidation of ldl and plaque formation) - similar protection as garlic during hdl-impaired periods such as during cycle and proximate post-cycle

-

Top Bottom