Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Bill Starr Advanced 5x5 routine ?

Alright guys well I am in my 5th week of the Bill Starr 5x5 Advanced version and have loved it so far. The increase in my lifts is amazing, but this is my first week into the deloading phase and it just seems like its not much at all. I want to add some more sets but dont want to mess with the system since it has worked so far. What do you guys think stick it out for the next 4 weeks? or i was maybe considering doing two weeks of the 3x3 than going back to 5x5 for more weeks and than start a new program. Any suggestions would be great! Thanks

What is your experience with this type of training? Have you done the intermediate/linear periodization before?

Alright guys well I am in my 5th week of the Bill Starr 5x5 Advanced version and have loved it so far. The increase in my lifts is amazing, but this is my first week into the deloading phase and it just seems like its not much at all. I want to add some more sets but dont want to mess with the system since it has worked so far. What do you guys think stick it out for the next 4 weeks? or i was maybe considering doing two weeks of the 3x3 than going back to 5x5 for more weeks and than start a new program. Any suggestions would be great! Thanks

This is the point of a deload...to be easier and give your body a break. If you add more sets then there would be no point in deloading. If you think you can make PRs easily and dont need a deload you should simply follow the intermediate 5x5 routine where you dont deload and set PRs every week after the 4th.

This is the point of a deload...to be easier and give your body a break. If you add more sets then there would be no point in deloading. If you think you can make PRs easily and dont need a deload you should simply follow the intermediate 5x5 routine where you dont deload and set PRs every week after the 4th.

Good post.

This is what I wad getting at. Advanced doesn't mean better. It's for advanced athletes. The poundages and volume used would put most advanced athletes in the ground and a deload period is a welcomed change.

The linear program allows for constant progression after four or five weeks. When you hit a wall you deload and reset your working weights.

I've only ever done the intermediate/linear 5x5 and my strength gains have been great. Unless your totaling 1500+ pounds in the big three I think the advanced periodization is not for you.

Last edited:
Good post.

This is what I wad getting at. Advanced doesn't mean better. It's for advanced athletes. The poundages and volume used would put most advanced athletes in the ground and a deload period is a welcomed change.

The linear program allows for constant progression after four or five weeks. When you hit a wall you deload and reset your working weights.

I've only ever done the intermediate/linear 5x5 and my strength gains have been great. Unless your totaling 1500+ pounds in the big three I think the advanced periodization is not for you.

Totally agree. Better to undertrain in a power sport than to overtrain.

Bill Star; "Don't fuck with the routine."

Top Bottom