Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Best Protein (supplement?) for my situation?

Saber_UK

Hi,

I was wondering if i could get some help.

Im 17 years old, 5"8 and last time i weighed myself (was 7 months ago :( :p) was around 115 pounds.

My weight doesnt seem to change much so i dont think there will be much difference.

Im a pretty skinny guy, i'm not muscley at all. TBH im more concerned about just putting on some weight more than muscle, but if i can get that too, fine :)

At the moment im looking at doing aerobic exercise (Jog/Cycle) and i know most of these protein supplements are more weight training, once my heart/lungs are better at doing their job then i can move onto weights)

so i was wondering, what would you consider to be the best supplement for me? I was at first just going to take protein, but perhaps another supplement is better? Im still pretty new to this, and there are so many different supplements on the market that i really dont know what i should use.

Any info would be great :)

Thanks

If all you want to do is gain weight you should concentrate more on carbohydrates than protein (although, having said that, you still need to eat an adequate amount of protein).

You don't really need a protein supplement if you're eating properly - powders and bars are really only useful for their convenience....but it sounds like you would be looking for a weight gainer....which would be anything that is high in calories (with plenty of protein and carbs and minimal fat) - something like N-Large maybe?? I've never tried it so I don't know if it's any good.

You also might want to reconsider going overboard with the cardio - too much will make it that much harder for you to gain mass.

hmmm...

well i dont want to put on fat weight :(

and unfortunatly, my diet isnt the best in the world :) Chicken tends to be my main meat, dont really eat much else.

How about those meal supplements? eg Meso-tech? that has protein in it, as well as carbs and many other things. I doubt if i would actually replace meals with it, but i could have 1 or 2 everyday, the problem with my diet is i kinda eat when i get hungry and the time at which that happens can vary significantly.

And on another note, i do eat quite often mcdonalds and other fast food, now i know these have alot of fat in them, i never seem to actually put on any weight though, i was thinking of perhaps waiting out because my brother was like me, but when he got to around 20 he started putting on weight (fat :p) and now he needs to exercise often to keep in shape...where as i can go for weeks without hard exercise and it doesnt make much difference to me.

I have over the last 2-3 months been Cross Country running, i have certainly improved in terms of distance i can reach without stopping, so this might have something to do with it.

well I hate to break the news to you but as long as you keep doing cross country, you're going to have a hard time putting on size. For example, look at distance runners, what sort of physique do they have? They're skinny. Extended cardio means you're going to stay skinny.

With that said,

You need to eat more, and you need to eat more frequently. If you're getting away with eating mcdonalds and you're not getting fat, then continue to do so. But like your brother, eventually your metabolism will slow down. But now is the best time to eat a lot of food and not gain fat, so go for it.

Chicken is fine, all meats are good for your situation. cottage cheese, milk, yogurt, eggs and protein shakes will help. Don't let the protein shakes replace your real meals however, sometimes supplement companies lie about the protein content. You need carbohydrates too, eat anything you can, pasta, rice, even bread. As long as you're not putting on fat go ahead and live it up. As you get older and your metabolism slows and your insuln sensitivity increases, pasta, bread and white rice will have to be reduced significantly.

Try to eat 6 meals a day. And train hard.

i see,

well im doing cardio vascular cause im fairly unfit, i do spend alot of time in front of the computer :)

im getting the impression that body builders arent that fit when it coms to cardio vascular... or does lifting weights give your heart/lungs good exercise too?

I think im basicly getting the feeling that i shouldnt drink protein shakes for running, how about if i lift weights as well? im not that strong so ill have to use the little dumbells in my room,

how much/long should i lift weights for? ( i would be starting on the 2 (sorry i dont know proper names) handheld weights, then i can move on as its gets easier?

i just read, nitrotech looked good, but i can see from the posts :p that its not a good idea lol, i dont want to buy products if the employees are rude like that. I assume that the special protein they have is just a bunch of poo :)

so what would be a good tasting (important ;) ) chocolate protein drink...helps if its got lots of protein too eheheh :)

If you want to gain weight you must eat more calories that you burn. Period. If are looking for a quick way to do that Champion makes a good weight gainer dring that has 900 to 1000 calories per serving depending on how you mix it. The chocolate tastes geat, too.

Many wieght trainers don't have good cardio, but look at some of the guys in the World's Strongest Man. Many of those events call for exersion over a period of time and require lungs as well as muscles. If you want a good way to develop both I recomend looking at the kettlebells and training guide available at www.dragondoor.com. Kettlebells work both strength and endurance, and combined with a basic routine of heavy squats, deadlifts, and maybe an overhead movement, you can get strong and build your endurance. I did a kettlebell routine today that had me colapsed on my bench for several minutes afterwords.

Remember though, the bottom line to gaining weight is to EAT. It sounds like you have a high metobolic rate to begin with (meaning you need more calories just to maintain your weight), plus the running and other cardio work require that much more. The "trick" to putting on muscle rather than fat is to train hard with some basic, compound movements and put the weight on slowly. Remember that the more weight you put on the more you will have to eat.

You cant...

Saber, it looks like your trying to get add some muscle/weight at the same time keep you lean look. Guess what, it doesn't work that way. Start eating some more red meat. You will add some body fat, and along with the body fat you will add the muscle. Everything is done in cycles.

Bulking and then cutting for example. You can't do both at the same time. I mean you could try but I will put money that this type of regimen will not work for you. I don't even think the pro's do that.

Bottom line, cut the cardio for alittle while. Eat. Alot of people say, that you need to eat six times a day or whatever, but for most it would be impossible to achieve. What I am trying to say is start taking in more calories. Make sure you take 1 g of protein for every 1lb you weigh. So 115lbs you intake should be 115g of protein. I would try to get some more if possible. Good Luck. Hope my info helps.

John G.

If I were you I would go with a good MRP(meal replacement powder) like EAS Myoplex or Optimum Nutrition's Opti-Pro Meal, with a tablespoon of flax oil mixed in. Use a couple of these a day along with a lot of whole foods.
Hit the weights and cut the cardio. As you get stronger and gain muscle, you will gain weight but not fat weight.

Eat 6 times a day

Eat at least six times a day...get at least 150 grams of protein all from whole foods, not a supplement powder. Eat lots of red meat and get your healthy fats (via 3 tablespoons of flax oil a day). Cut out the cardio completely for a month and see what happens.

Madhops

Top Bottom