Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Benching and chest touching

Lambster said:
There is a guy in my gym I know quite well who uses a block of wood on his chest. This after getting frustrated with his poor performance at full range.

i don't use the actual wood on my chest but i act like there is a 2x4 on my chest. if i go down to my chest it kills a bad shoulder of mine. if you think 1 3/4" makes a differece in a lift you are crazy bro. people that hit their chest usually get a little bounce that helps them on the upward motion anyways.

either move your grip in, or learn how to tuck your elbows on your decent rather than flaring them out and touching really high on your chest. This places tremendous strain on the shoulders and is how alot of lifters get hurt. Tucking your elbows and touching your sternum will transfer the majority of the weight off your shoulders and onto your back (yes back), tris and chest. Moving your grip in will make you do this almost automatically(ever notice that your shoulders dont really hurt when doing closegrip bench?), but it can be done using a wide grip also with practice.

And yes if you want to call it a proper benchpress, you do HAVE to touch your chest. Those guys at your gym probably get annoyed with the fact that they have to watch you butcher a basic movement like the benchpress every time they see you do it. And i was using 100's when i was 17 and 160lbs, big deal, if you learned how to benchpress properly, you could move alot more than that. If you can get a full range of motion with DB's, you can do it with the bar. Seriously take my advice and just try it next time your going to bench. Just think on your decent, tuck your elbows in towards your ribcage, flare your lats, and bring the bar to the lowest part of your sternum. TRY IT!

Thanks, Dave. I will keep touching.

There is a guy in my gym I know quite well who uses a block of wood on his chest. This after getting frustrated with his poor performance at full range.

He benched 250 for the first time last Spring...with the board on his chest. He was so happy that he told everyone of his new max...never mentioned a thing about the block of wood on his chest. Sad!

Wow 250 isnt even anything much too. I am near there and I am a small kid who eats like shit.

You guys should take the advice from pappad.. It all depends on what your going for. If your only benching 225 I would think your form and the number or reps is the most important thing for you to focus on right now, not how much you can push up. But if your in a competition for the most wieght, a chest touch with no bounce is a complete press.. full lock out. bumbells will also help increase your bench.

Top Bottom