Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Arms lag woefully behind...help, please...

mrsocal

Banned
my arms are the slowest part of my bod in terms of gaining mass and muscle definition (im a light-boned ectomorph like Frank Zane). but i have good chest/pec genetics.

i recently watched ironman magazine's ultimate mass-building routine on dvd.

here are the different exercises for arms that it suggests to gain mass, what are your thoughts on this?

i've only tried them half-heartedly for 1 week, i notice some improvement especially with dumbell one-arm (no support) concentration biceps concentration curl:

1) barbell biceps curl
2) Reverse barbell curl
3) barbell wrist curl incline and decline bench
4) barbell reverse wrist curl
5) incline seated alternating dumbell biceps curl
6) no support one arm dumbell concentration biceps curl. u basically hold on to one knee as u do the curl. AND hold for a count of 2 at peak contraction
7) lying barbell triceps curl (skull crushers) on a flat bench

*all of the above exercises are astonishgly only 2 sets and in a high rep range of 8-12 reps! WTF?

does anyone give their "seal of approval" on this above routine?

also im getting conflicting info out there (on the worldwide web and in books) on how many reps should be done.

im 40 years old and i want to avoid elbow tendonitis, rotator cuff injuries, joint injuries etc., yet as an ectomorph i want to gain mass and muscle definition FAST and it seems the only way to do so is by high intensity heavy weight and low reps which can lead to injury.

8-12 reps like Joe Weider the father of NOrth American bodybuilding suggested at one point?

or 6-8 reps?

or maybe 7-9 reps as a dude in the gym about 45 (5 years older than me), suggested who had a nice physique?

keep in mind please im looking for a rep range that will ga
in muscle mass and muscle definition fast, YET AVOID INJURY DUE TO HEAVY WEIGHT AND CHEATING.

thanks, guys for any constructive advice.

is heavier really better???

IMO I would say go lighter on the weight and squeeze hard at the top and get the full extention on the negative. I am also ectomorph and I follow Kai green philosophies on size and if you want mass focus on contraction, light weight, and 8-10 range for reps. I've gotten good results from that, also a good excersise is incline dumbbell curls really squeezing hard at the top your arms will burn so bad feels great. Another thing work your tris, they're a bigger muscle then the biceps help with size.

I always go 3-4 sets and 6-8 reps if I'm trying to gain size and strength. Its not exactly this black & white but basically low reps done to failure will increase strength and high reps will increase endurance. Theyre recommending a med range of reps so imo its not the quickest way for growth.

I have never had an issue with arms and actually I don't do much arm work because I do assloads of compound movements. My back workout last night was pull-ups behind the neck, wide grip t-bar rows, lat pull downs to front, dumb bell rows all 4 sets +1 w.u. set and my biceps were trashed along with my back. I might have been able to do some db curls with 30's maybe but there was no need.

Sent from my htc t-bolt using the elitefitness app.

Arms respond better to a slight higher amount of reps. Also contraction is the key to build muscle.

Thank you all! All of this is very useful information. :) If you need any help, that I can help you with, please let me know.

"Keep your mind on the things you want and off the things you don't want" --Bruce Lee

IMO I would say go lighter on the weight and squeeze hard at the top and get the full extention on the negative. I am also ectomorph and I follow Kai green philosophies on size and if you want mass focus on contraction, light weight, and 8-10 range for reps. I've gotten good results from that, also a good excersise is incline dumbbell curls really squeezing hard at the top your arms will burn so bad feels great. Another thing work your tris, they're a bigger muscle then the biceps help with size.

thanks so much zeosim. this was so useful, i had to copy and paste it. the last thing i want is an injury.

It is normal for arms to lag. Squat, dead lift, oly lift, dip, pull up...the arms will keep up, trust me.

Top Bottom