Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Another Single Factor 5x5 Journal

Sounds good to me if it sounds good to you.

With the planks, you can use your whole forearm rather than just your elbow.

Sweet! Yeah, sorry, I meant forearm. I should have done a bit more ab work but couldn't decide what to do.

Ok, let's see how I'll do this to keep the overall tonnage about the same...

Tonnage for my last successful Monday row workout:

40 x 5 = 200
45 x 5 = 225
50 x 5 = 250
55 x 5 = 275
61 x 5 = 305
------------
total = 1255kg

The Friday workout comes to 1533kg, so those are my rough targets.

Proposed first 1x3:

40 x 2 = 80 (warmup)
51 x 3 = 153
56 x 3 = 168
62.5 x 3 = 187.5
63.5 x 2 = 127
50 x 8 = 400 (backoff)
---------------
total = 1115.5kg (target 1255)

I know it isn't quite a 1x3, but in the spirit of a 1x3, I've worked up to a high intensity for low reps and thrown in a double for good measure. I had to add a back off set to keep the volume up.

Proposed first 3x3:

40 x 2 = 80 (warmup)
50 x 1 = 50 (warmup)
60 x 3 = 180
60 x 3 = 180
60 x 3 = 180
60 x 3 = 180
50 x 8 = 400 (backoff)
------------
total = 1250kg (target 1533)

To keep the volume up, I had to make this a 4x3 and throw in a backoff set again, but the volume is still a bit low. It looks like it's going to do me a lot of good anyway - lots of reps right on the edge of what I can do with good form.

I'll do the same calc for deads. I just posted the above so you can see what I'm thinking.

Ok, for the record, deads come to 2560kg.

Here's the pseudo 3x3 for next week:

75 x 4 = 300
85 x 3 = 255
100 x 2 = 200
117 x 1 = 117
130 x 3 = 390
130 x 3 = 390
130 x 3 = 390
130 x 3 = 390
-------------
total = 2432

Can't the single factor program work time and again? I don't see why a person couldn't simply break for a week to recuperate, then hammer away at it again, starting a couple notches below where they ended up the first time. For example, for AB, starting back at week 9 or 10, then ramping up weekly from there. He's guaranteed to break week 13, which gives him a solid 4-5 week training plan anyway that he can probably milk growth from, since repeating loads does tend to allow more mass, and chances are he'd continue to break PRs for another couple of weeks, no?

I've heard it said many times before, that DF type training is only really needed near the very advanced and elite levels, and that most recreational lifters really don't need to bother with it. This is just what I've heard, though.

Probably. There are lots of ways of going about this. The question is, which one/ones are the most efficient? If I go back to weeks 9/10, I might well break the week 13 'plateau', but is that an efficient use of the next 4/5 weeks?

In the TRAINING NEW LIFTERS - Glenn Pendlay and Mark Ripptoe article, each of the suggestions is to change the workout slightly and sometimes to drop the weights and ramp up again. Nowhere have they suggested simply going back and ramping up in the same fashion again (although that's what I was about to attempt on deads before I decided to switch to 3x3). I'm not taking this advice as gospel, but I've seen other articles by these guys and they always seem to suggest a change of set/rep scheme.

If I change to 3x3 for deads and rows, I'm hoping to break 3x3 PRs within the next couple of weeks or so, so I won't lose as much time as going back to weeks 9/10.

Regarding DF, I'm using 3x3 as a way of increasing the intensity. I'm not attempting to load/deload, hence the quick tonnage calcs above to keep me in the same ballpark. I agree, I should be able to milk SF style workouts for a lot longer. Once the 3x3 gains stop, I'll probably go back to a regular SF 5x5 layout.

I was just looking at the weights on the deads and rows. I think you'll find it hard to make those sets. That's a lot of sets near your current 4-rep max.

If you want to keep simple tonnage up, drop one or two of the 130Kg sets and do a back-off of 100x? to compensate with the earlier 100x2 turned into a 100x3. You can ramp up sets as well as weight to add to progression over time. You could turn the 117 into a double and throw in a 125 double or single.

I could be wrong, of course, but I'm just concerned about the top sets.

Shall I just give you all of my k now? :)

Deads:
75 x 4 = 300
85 x 3 = 255
100 x 3 = 300
117 x 2 = 234
130 x 3 = 390
130 x 3 = 390
100 x 8 = 800
-------------
Total = 2669

Emminently more sensible. Thank you sir!

On rows, I think they were a bit optimistic too. They were more like the weights for 2/3 weeks from now. The more I change the ramping workout, the more it ends up looking like a regular Friday workout with a triple and back-off set. I might as well keep Friday rows as they are. Mondays will become the flat 3x3 set. How about this for the first one then?

Monday rows:
40 x 3 = 120
50 x 3 = 150
58 x 3 = 174
58 x 3 = 174
58 x 3 = 174
50 x 8 = 400
------------
Total = 1192

That looks much more reasonable. You can adjust as time passes but better to start with a clear success. Don't expect those two tops sets to be a piece of cake, though. Also, don't worry overly if the back-off set is too much after the top sets. Getting solid sets in with the heavier weight is the crux of driving up your neural efficiency.

I'm not sure on rows, you're on your own with them. They're so much less taxing than deads so you might be able to take more at the top than with the deadlifts.

You can keep your K, thanks. George would take 30% in taxation. :)

Is measureing the tonnage an accurate way of determining anything?

Anthrax Invasion said:
Is measureing the tonnage an accurate way of determining anything?
It determines the total amount of work done - he's trying to keep the work the same while going about it in a different way.

One variable at a time. Seems like a decent idea to me, b/c if he changed the rep scheme AND the amount of work (tonnage) he did, he wouldn't be able to pinpoint which aspect was responsible for the results.

Top Bottom