Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

ABCDE / 2 weeks bulk, 2 weeks diet

LaviathanX

Is it possible to switch back and forth from bulking to cutting very rapidly, say, every 2 weeks? I know there's an ABCDE diet, but has it been successful? Has anyone tried this method? I usually can't do one or the other for too long so I figured that something like this would work better for me. Any ideas?

Opinions are mixed on Torbjorn Akerfeldt's ABCDE system... I personally think it can work, but others think that you put on too much fat during the bulking phase, and don't lose it all during the dieting phase... so what ends up happening is that after a couple of bulking and cutting cycles, you do put on muscle, but you put on almost just as much fat too!

IMHO, I think this is in part related to the fact that the bulking phase is "easy" in the sense that anybody can stuff his face and lift hard... but the cutting phase is damn tough... you really gotta go super low on cals to lose the fat you put on... I think that most guys screw this phase up, and that's why they get the aforementioned results.

There's a good thread on this very topic somewhere in the archives... run a search and I'm sure you'll find it. later

I'd say that the idea of this method has merit, but both phases are too extreme in nature. The diet phase cuts calories too low, so while you do lose fat you can compromise your metabolism and when the next bulking phase hits you may end up putting on more fat than muscle. Even if you are being careful.

I'd recommend a milder method and start with only a 500-750 calorie deficit or surplus depending on which phase you're in. That will still give you a good pound to pound and a half fat loss per week and hopefully the same weight gain. Over time this would slowly alter your body composition as your total muscle mass would slowly build up while your fat mass should at the worst remain steady and hopefully even drop.

After a few cycles with those numbers you could make changes. If you find you put on very little weight in the bulk phase then up the calories a bit. If you don't lose enough fat then maybe drop the cals a bit. Just remember that 2 weeks of dieting or bulking won't net you a huge amount of change. Just because you've only lost 3 pounds in 2 weeks doesn't mean the diet isn't working. In fact that would be perfect. Same for the weight gain part of it. I think people expect to put on 5-10 pounds on in 2 weeks and lose the same and it's just not going to happen. This method would take time to see some good results but the good part is your body would never be in each phase long enough to get burnt out.

One last method is to either shorten the duration of each phase a bit or even make the length of the phases be determined by your progress. Maybe bulk until you notice a 1-2mm gain in abdominal skinfold measurement. Then cut until you notice the same amount of loss. This would allow you to only get to a certain bodyfat before cutting, but over time you'd keep gaining more and more muscle. When summer nears maybe you bulk till you gain 2mm, then cut till you lose 3mm. Over time you'd slowly drop your bodyfat while still gaining muscle.

Just remember to listen to your body. Don't follow some cookie cutter diet because someone says it works. If you notice your gaining or losing weight too fast then make a change. I think this style of body composition change is a great one for those that are patient and want lasting, long term results. However most of us want changes yesterday so a plan like this takes awhile until you really notice big changes. There are also those that like to bulk indefinately as an excuse to indulge in their culinary desires without feeling guilty, but that's another story.

I think it all depends what bodytype you have, if you have a fast metaboilism or slow. I have a slow and I love the method. I tend to gain fat very fast so I eat very clean and never go above 1000cals over my maintenance calorie intake on the bulk. For me a cutting phase of 10 days are enough just -500 from my maintenance C. intake. The diet plan works, for some better than others. A friend of mine have been on the ABCDE diet for a very long time, and he has done pnice improvement. He is an ectomorf so itäs very hard for him to gain weigth. For him a more "unclean" diet are better than a clean one, compared to the one I use at times.

Try the diet, if 12-14 days bulk followed by 12-14 days cutting doesn't work very good and you gain to much fat, or don't gain at all, then change your diet. There is no exact plan, there never is. Only a frame to help you on the way. I tried the 5 days B - 5 days C and it worked better for my bodytype.

LaviathanX said:
Is it possible to switch back and forth from bulking to cutting very rapidly, say, every 2 weeks? I know there's an ABCDE diet, but has it been successful? Has anyone tried this method? I usually can't do one or the other for too long so I figured that something like this would work better for me. Any ideas?

Switching from Bulking to Cutting is not trully possible w/in the time table of 2 weeks, the constraint will not allow your body to put on enough muscle mass.

I have tried it w/ measurements of everything and logs, w/out sucess, more like failure.

Try this method....
5 days no carbs/ 2 day carb up
3 days no carbs/1 day carb up
1 day 1/2 BMR calories (BMR =weight x12)
4 days no carbs/ 2 day carb up
14 days no carbs/ 2 day carb up
1 day 1/2 BMR

This is a hard thing to do, but possible

Mr.X

Top Bottom