Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

A question for the big lifters

I guess I don't understand what information you want. Do you want me to list out the roster and their starting weights?

Remember that this is a co-ed team of High School athletes composed of many weight classes.

I will give you this rough example. My 242 sophomore (again roughly & from memory) started the season - his first - with a 445 squat, 230 bench, and a 440 deadlift.

When he placed 4th at nationals 4.5 month later he did a 575 squat, 309 bench, 525 dead.

At nationals he was allowed to wear a shirt, but only had lifted with it for 2 practices. Without it he could easily do 265 for a double and a pause.

Since then he has gotten a 600 squat, 315 bench (no shirt), and a 570 dead. We expect him to not only win state next year, but get at least 2nd at nationals (assuming the same competition). And remember he just turned 16 & weighs 238.

I hope this helps.

B-

Wow, that's damn impressive. He must've eaten like a horse on this program, though, to make a huge jump like that. Either that, or sometimes huge jumps just happen as a matter of course.

I remember when I tried my first deadlift single, I could only get 265 for a very hard pull. Afterwards, I trained with just singles and I jumped from 265 to 355 in 5 or 6 months, but since then I've had slower progression to building up my PR. Then again, when I first tried to pull 405 I could barely get it up, but now I can pull it for 2 or 3 easy the second time I tried for it.

Anyway, I want to try and stick by Wendler's for a year and carefully record my progress from the first cycle to the last to see if the 100/50 lbs promise holds true.

It seems odd, though, that the particular trainee in question could squat and bench in the mid 400s but could only bench 230. I squat only 315 and deadlift 405 but my bench is at 275 since my last PR attempt, albeit a hard single. Maybe some people are just wired differently, huh?

Wow, that's damn impressive. He must've eaten like a horse on this program, though, to make a huge jump like that. Either that, or sometimes huge jumps just happen as a matter of course.

I remember when I tried my first deadlift single, I could only get 265 for a very hard pull. Afterwards, I trained with just singles and I jumped from 265 to 355 in 5 or 6 months, but since then I've had slower progression to building up my PR. Then again, when I first tried to pull 405 I could barely get it up, but now I can pull it for 2 or 3 easy the second time I tried for it.

Anyway, I want to try and stick by Wendler's for a year and carefully record my progress from the first cycle to the last to see if the 100/50 lbs promise holds true.

It seems odd, though, that the particular trainee in question could squat and bench in the mid 400s but could only bench 230. I squat only 315 and deadlift 405 but my bench is at 275 since my last PR attempt, albeit a hard single. Maybe some people are just wired differently, huh?

In my experience, there are benchers, and then people who are squatters and pullers. I generally don't see athletes who are great at all 3.

For me I would rather be a better squatter & puller than a bencher any day.

B-

In my experience, there are benchers, and then people who are squatters and pullers. I generally don't see athletes who are great at all 3.

B-

Myself as well. My deadlift has always been abnormally strong for only 2 years and change of training, my squat is ok, and my bench is surprisingly high, especially since it's the lift I've trained for the least amount of time. Then again, sometimes people are great pullers and pushers, but not so good with the squats.

I guess I don't understand what information you want. Do you want me to list out the roster and their starting weights?

Remember that this is a co-ed team of High School athletes composed of many weight classes.

I will give you this rough example. My 242 sophomore (again roughly & from memory) started the season - his first - with a 445 squat, 230 bench, and a 440 deadlift.

When he placed 4th at nationals 4.5 month later he did a 575 squat, 309 bench, 525 dead.

At nationals he was allowed to wear a shirt, but only had lifted with it for 2 practices. Without it he could easily do 265 for a double and a pause.

Since then he has gotten a 600 squat, 315 bench (no shirt), and a 570 dead. We expect him to not only win state next year, but get at least 2nd at nationals (assuming the same competition). And remember he just turned 16 & weighs 238.

I hope this helps.

B-

Holy shit! How much does he eat:eek2:

B-

I never did deadlifts regurlarly until the last 2 years or so. I had to do them randommly in football but never really cared. I always did bench in hs and once i got out of hs i started hitting squats. Its took me years to get my bench over 300 but my deadlift flew up 100+ LBS in 2 years. in high school i was only deadlifting 245. after 3 years of squats and leg press i was able to pull 315 for reps one day without ever practicing the lift. once i actually strarted doing them weekly i went from pulling 315x5 to 435x5 now. I think squats is what made deads come to me so easy.

I never did deadlifts regurlarly until the last 2 years or so. I had to do them randommly in football but never really cared. I always did bench in hs and once i got out of hs i started hitting squats. Its took me years to get my bench over 300 but my deadlift flew up 100+ LBS in 2 years. in high school i was only deadlifting 245. after 3 years of squats and leg press i was able to pull 315 for reps one day without ever practicing the lift. once i actually strarted doing them weekly i went from pulling 315x5 to 435x5 now. I think squats is what made deads come to me so easy.

As a general rule of thumb, your deadlift should be more than your squat.

I am speaking only of RAW lifts. When you go to a PL meet and some big dude is squatting a grand, but can only pull 755 you know it is the suit.

B-

As a general rule of thumb, your deadlift should be more than your squat.

I am speaking only of RAW lifts. When you go to a PL meet and some big dude is squatting a grand, but can only pull 755 you know it is the suit.

B-

my best ever dead is 90 lbs higher than my best squat. I try not to pay much attention the the guys with the suits on. Raw lifts are a true test of strength. Im still considering a belt. Havent really used one but they use them in the strong man comps so ive ran the idea around in my head.

my best ever dead is 90 lbs higher than my best squat. I try not to pay much attention the the guys with the suits on. Raw lifts are a true test of strength. Im still considering a belt. Havent really used one but they use them in the strong man comps so ive ran the idea around in my head.

If you want a belt, consider this one by Rehband.

They also have one without the semi-hard belt.

I use the one with the belt and really like it. I rarely use a hard belt unless I am squatting really heavy, and then I use the PR blet by Inzer.

B-

Top Bottom