Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

A little nutrition note when bulking

I realize that people have different metabolic rates, but I can't make 1000 different scenerios. This is a general statement for the average person. I know a lot of you think you will grow better from double of what you need, but just because the scale is going up doesn't mean it's quality. Unless you have a very low bf% (8 or lower) then putting on 5 lbs of fat won't be noticeable really and you'll think it's muscle gain. Just because the scale moves slower does not mean that you are gaining less muscle, I would argue that in most cases it is realatively the same, just with none to little fat gain. This was just something to think about, obviously if you have a high or slow metabolism you are the only one that can determine what you need, but it is not going to be dramitically higher or lower then this. (within 1000 cals)

thefacelessballer- are you sure he needs that much? I mean the pros don't even eat like that.

I will disagree with that statement. You have mentioned nothing about the affect of daily activities on a person who is bulking.

Maybe if the bodybuilder you are speaking of lays in bed all day and only gets up to work out. But if he does cardio, or walks a lot of does various other types of activities then the number of calories needed will be raised accordingly.

Pros do indeed eat in upwards of 7500 cals a day. Certain pros diet at around 5000 calories a day. Again the same holds true for them. They are all individuals with varying needs. I think your notions are flawed. One can tell when muscle growth accelerates due to an increase in calories. You made a statement that one can't tell the difference between muscle growth and fat accumulation...We only see the number on the scale getting bigger. I disagree. Those of us in this game have a better understanding and feel for our body's than most other people do. Years of diet manipulation and training experience produce a great awareness of ones body. It is a fact that for most of us we will gain some fat in our pursuit of mass. It's a fact of this life and a normal physiological fuction. If you ate soley to gain nothing but lean body mass, a noble conquest, you would gain, but very, very slowly. You would not gain as much muscle this way as if you ate for optimal gains. We are in this game to get big fast...like before the body's biological process become too inefficient to produce and support the large quantities of mass we desire. The only way to expidite this rapid growth is through a drastic increase in the supplies needed to produce this mass. No single person can pin point exactly the break even caloric level between muscle gains and fat accumulation. So to insure our growth we make sure to supply the body with all it needs. To optimize muscle growth you must feed the body more than it needs for normal daily fuctions and maintanace. This requires an abundance of calories. Muscle growth takes a back seat to all other more vital fuctions in the body...In simplist terms, it must be induced. In order to acheive the mass many of us seek in an acceptable period of time we have to induce rapid muscle hypertrophy thorugh hard stimulus training and an abundance of food. To soley gain pure muscle mass without the addition of fat would limit the potential growth of muscle and severly diminish the rate at which it happens. Most of use don't want to gain a 1/2 pound of muscle a month and wait years upon years for gains to materilaize. We speed up the growth process of muscles and a byproduct is some fat accumulation...laws of physiology. The human body simply in not designed to be incredibly muscled and have 4% body fat...It's not natural. That's why it takes extremes to induce the desired effects. Extreme calories(and in most of our cases, the use of AAS) to induce the extreme muscularity...Then the opposite extreme of dieting after that muscularity has been acheived to get to that unnaturally lean 4%. Bottom line is eating just above maintnance will create growth, but it's just too slow. Eating more will produce more growth...and this grwoth includes more muscle. Sacrifices must be made to get for maximum muscularity. One of those sacrifices is some adipose tissue.

Beezers said:
I think your notions are flawed. One can tell when muscle growth accelerates due to an increase in calories. You made a statement that one can't tell the difference between muscle growth and fat accumulation...We only see the number on the scale getting bigger. I disagree. Those of us in this game have a better understanding and feel for our body's than most other people do. Years of diet manipulation and training experience produce a great awareness of ones body.

I completely agree with you, but this wasn't directed towards the more experienced. Obviously you, and most of the other vets know what your doing, this was presented for the newbies and like I said it is a general statement.

2Thick- good point, I overlooked it!

ORGANON CANON said:
A male weighing in at 360lbs with a bf% of 3 only needs 6000 cals a day to bulk. Considering Ronnie isn't that big some of you should reconsider there bulking diets. You are not supposed to gain a lot of fat when bulking. When I bulk I gain a max of 3-4lbs of fat. You have to know what to eat. For a 200lb man at 10% bf, the average of this board, you need 3400 cals a day to bulk. Just something to ponder for those bulking and wondering why they are so fat.

I think what OC is saying is if your getting fat, your eating too much. A bulking cycle is designed to put on muscle not fat. I remember the first time I saw Mike Matarazzo bulked up, yea, he had some fat on him he was up to 285@ 5' 9"(I may be off a inch), but the thing I will never forget... he still had a six pack, not all cut up but still there.

Let's get back to sanity here. 7,500 calories? Try to sit down and show me a logical plan where you can eat 7,500 calories day in and day out. That's like 7 full-sized big Mac Value Meals every day. Or 6 meals, plus 3 1,000 calorie shakes in between. Like many things in this sport (my bench is 490, I squat 800 for reps), calories tend to be exaggerated.

Top Bottom