Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

A good grip is essential

MrMuscle

I have been having problems with my deadlift lately because the grip on the olympic barbells in my gym are bad, and there is no chalk. i have not been willing to use straps because i have weak wrists, and im afraid id pull the hands outta my socket. now i do a reverse pyramide set on deadlifts..3-4 warm up sets, then heavy for 4 reps, 8 then 12. decreasing the weights. last night i decided id try the straps. so load up with 330 pounds. not alot of weight for most maybe, but its plenty for me..so i start doing my sets..and i grind out one by one..and when im done ive managed to do 3 more reps than i thought were possible, so i did 7 sets of 330 pounds right? wrong, i checked the bar, and i had somehow put an extra 10kg on the bar (thats 22 pounds) so i did 7 reps with 352 pounds. and im paying for it today..my back is one big knot...but you know i love it.

just wanted to post this. its good with at least one good post a week in here. one that doesnt end up with alot of bashing of othr people.

Why not just use an over/under grip when grip starts to give on the heavy sets? Sounds like you could benefit from doing some Farmer's walks as well. Good job though. Gotta love deads!

cuz im a bodybuilder. an that over/under grip messes up the symmetry on my traps..i tried it before, and my traps looked like shit. and i kinda like this grip. and my grip never fails on anything else. and it wouldnt fail here if we had decent bars.

MrMuscle said:
cuz im a bodybuilder. an that over/under grip messes up the symmetry on my traps..i tried it before, and my traps looked like shit. and i kinda like this grip. and my grip never fails on anything else. and it wouldnt fail here if we had decent bars.

This may be a stupid comment because I've never been super concerned about symmetry, but ...

Couldn't you just use an over/under grip and alternate which hands to over/under on each set? Would this not balance them out and solve most of your grip problems?

i dunno, seeing as the week i do deadlifts thats the only exercise i do for traps that week. and by keeping them at one grip i work them the most possible.

In my opinion...till you are big enough and you are pulling in the lower 6's...don't worry too much about your symetry. If you sacrifice size (weight related) for symetry...you will not grow very quickly.

I most always do an over under grip on everything and my traps don't suffer or look uneven.

I still suggest farmers walks though.

B True

oops sorry i thought this thread was about pocket pool...

2000pride-014.2.jpg

Top Bottom