Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

5x5?

Quinskic

When you do 5x5, is it 5 sets to failure? or do you keep the same weight and it gets harder every set? Thanks for your help

5 sets at the same weight making sure you can do all 5. Then the following week you raise the weight by 5 pounds. When you cant do 5x5, try again the following week. if you STILL cant get it, do 5x3 then 5x5 again the following week.

after your 5x5 lift, do 2 sets of 8-10 reps (failure) for 2 different execises.

example

flat bench (2-3 minutes rest between sets)
225x5
225x5
225x5
225x5
225x5

incline DB press (30 second rest between sets)
80x8-10
80x8-10

Incline Fly (30 second rest between sets)
50x8-10
50x8-10

next week
Flat bench
230x5
230x5
230x5
230x5
230x5

oncline DB press
85x8-10
85x8-10

Incline DB fly
55x8-10
55x8-10

and if you can do any of those work outs, ie. you fail while doing the 5x5, or you cant get 8-10 of the other sets, stay at that weight the next week. If the next week you still fail, drop to 5x3 (instead of 5x5) keep the other sets the same, and do that for a few weeks progressing the same. Once you stick at 5x3 and cant continue gaining, then go back to where you got stuck on the 5x5 and you should be able to get through it now!
Hope that gave you a better understanding bro

Peace

and would you recommend this for every muscle group...
or every main exercise for that muscle group???

Curls, Skull Crushers or pulldowns, military press, upright rows, bench press

then do more isolated or auxerillary exercises such as concentration curls, and extensions, lateral raises, flies,

is that how it's to work?

every muscle group!! pick a compound exercise for that muscle and that gets hit 5x5..then pick 2 additional exercises and do 2 sets for 8-10 reps for each exercise. for example quads
squats 5x5
front squat 2x 8-10
seated leg curls 2x8-10

and so i know...
then i push X weight 5 times... the last one should be tough enough, but not so tough that I can't do it for all 5 sets...
so it's not to faileur.

what if the reps i can do are more like: 5, 5, 5, 4, 3???

some FaQ that I thought you might like... between this thread and this link i want to try the 5x5... but does it work? Is it enought of a workout to stimulate growth??? If so, then I'm gonna stop wasting my time on this god forsaken routine now, and hop on the 5x5

http://forum.avantlabs.com/topic8369.html

Last edited:
i answered your PM..dont start out too heavy otherwise you wont get all your reps..once your crusing you will find that making all 5 reps is hard..if you bench 200 for 10 i would start with 185 or 190 this way you have a better chance of not plateauing..

Top Bottom