Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

5x5...what to do when you start stagnating

wnt2bBeast said:
has this worked for you? i tried time off from deads and when i went back i was weaker..as much as i like wsb i need to include full pulls otherwise my positioning and groove is completely off..squats however it doesnt seem to be much of a difference..through trial and error i have found that i am on the side of those that do deads to train your dead rather than the other camp where they pull only to test progress..

sorry for jumping in. you asked if time off has worked...for me, i would have to say yes. i do deads at the very most every 2 weeks, usually once every 3 (when i say do them, i mean go for a max lift.) my current training style is more or less a modified WSB. ocasionally on my DE squat/dead day, ill throw in some speed deads for 10 singles with 60-75% of my max dead, and this is after my box squats.

Illuminati said:
sorry for jumping in. you asked if time off has worked...for me, i would have to say yes. i do deads at the very most every 2 weeks, usually once every 3 (when i say do them, i mean go for a max lift.) my current training style is more or less a modified WSB. ocasionally on my DE squat/dead day, ill throw in some speed deads for 10 singles with 60-75% of my max dead, and this is after my box squats.
i hear ya..i dont need to max but for me i need to pull..ive been doing block pulls the last 3 weeks (sets of 3-5 reps)..im not sure when.. but im going to give it a test and see what kind of results i get..maybe in another 3 weeks..

wnt2bBeast said:
i hear ya..i dont need to max but for me i need to pull..ive been doing block pulls the last 3 weeks (sets of 3-5 reps)..im not sure when.. but im going to give it a test and see what kind of results i get..maybe in another 3 weeks..

the first time you step off those blocks and go for a regular dead (standing on the floor) you gonna look at the bar like WTF. it is going to see extremely high. and it might mess up your grove. this is what happened to me. what i would reccommend, is that if you are planning on continuing the block pulls, after you get done with your sets, do a couple light weight reps (take whatever you max is and cut it in half) so that when it comes time, and you decide to go for your max, it wont seem so akward.

Illuminati said:
the first time you step off those blocks and go for a regular dead (standing on the floor) you gonna look at the bar like WTF. it is going to see extremely high. and it might mess up your grove. this is what happened to me. what i would reccommend, is that if you are planning on continuing the block pulls, after you get done with your sets, do a couple light weight reps (take whatever you max is and cut it in half) so that when it comes time, and you decide to go for your max, it wont seem so akward.
you think? im keeping the exact same foot postion same set up..i would think when you pull form the floor im gonne be like wtf this is light!!! lol i hope anyway lol..

wnt2bBeast said:
you think? im keeping the exact same foot postion same set up..i would think when you pull form the floor im gonne be like wtf this is light!!! lol i hope anyway lol..

i was doing deads off one of those aerobic steps for about 6 weeks. this put my feet just under the bar. i think it was around march, and the first time i was off the platform, and went to do deads off the floor, it was kind of akward at first. the bar look really high. i was keeping the same set up. i think it was just that i had become accostomed to pulling from a little bit lower. when you get done the next time you do deads, take a minute to get your deadlift stance while standing on the floor. you'll see what i mean.

wnt2bBeast said:

i was doing deads off one of those aerobic steps for about 6 weeks. this put my feet just under the bar. i think it was around march, and the first time i was off the platform, and went to do deads off the floor, it was kind of akward at first. the bar look really high. i was keeping the same set up. i think it was just that i had become accostomed to pulling from a little bit lower. when you get done the next time you do deads, take a minute to get your deadlift stance while standing on the floor. you'll see what i mean.
also, the platform deads helped me pull more off the floor. now, im just having trouble lockin out. any suggestions?

Illuminati said:
also, the platform deads helped me pull more off the floor. now, im just having trouble lockin out. any suggestions?
i did my last two sets with my feet almost touching the bar..ill pull a single or a double next week after im done with the blocks..if your having trouble locking out do rack pulls from knee level..the thing with racks you should be using super heavy weights..more than you pull from the floor..

wnt2bBeast said:
i did my last two sets with my feet almost touching the bar..ill pull a single or a double next week after im done with the blocks..if your having trouble locking out do rack pulls from knee level..the thing with racks you should be using super heavy weights..more than you pull from the floor..

i've seen a lot of talk about rack pulls lately. if you think these will help, ill give 'em a shot this saturday. one question about them...do you take your normal deadlift grip when doing them? i use an alternating grip for my deads.

Illuminati said:
i've seen a lot of talk about rack pulls lately. if you think these will help, ill give 'em a shot this saturday. one question about them...do you take your normal deadlift grip when doing them? i use an alternating grip for my deads.
yep..anything i do related to pulling i always set up as though i was doing a full deadlift..foot position/hand position everything exactly the same..it may seem a little weird at first because your basically starting at the half way position..do what you feel comfortable doing to get used to the position..then maybe the second time you try you should be able to go with a fairly heavy weight..just to give you an idea i have used anywhere from 75 to 125 lbs over my max pull

Top Bottom