Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

5 x 5 Training, what is the proper way?

BionicBC

A 'HALO' over my head...
Platinum
Can anyone give me a complete breakdown of the 5 x 5 training routine, specifically for Chest, and why it is better? K for all replies. Thanx.
Bionic

On this board there is a program called 5x5 that is a basic a standard 3 day split, one body part a week, and uses the compound movements in a 5x5 scheme.

There is a very famous workout developed by Bill Starr 30 years ago that is what the majority of the world considers to be the '5x5' when someone mentions that name. A better source for this workout is here along with the other links I sent you: http://forum.mesomorphosis.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3. There is a plethora of information and several programs drawn up by one of the finest strength coaches on the planet. Do not confuse what is referred to as 5x5 here with this workout. There is no similarity.

Madcow2 said:
On this board there is a program called 5x5 that is a basic a standard 3 day split, one body part a week, and uses the compound movements in a 5x5 scheme.

There is a very famous workout developed by Bill Starr 30 years ago that is what the majority of the world considers to be the '5x5' when someone mentions that name. A better source for this workout is here along with the other links I sent you: http://forum.mesomorphosis.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3. There is a plethora of information and several programs drawn up by one of the finest strength coaches on the planet. Do not confuse what is referred to as 5x5 here with this workout. There is no similarity.

im not sure if it was expalined in the link whats a JS row?
ive used NS 5x5 and was happy with it..i think the problem here though is youll find most people wont try this routine because theres no "arm day" lol although im not sure i could squat 3 days/wk and can get away with 2 though..it is a basic routine based around the 3 lifts and what people dont realize is you can just throw in some bi's or delts on any day..if your rowing heavy you wont need 10 sets for bi's most likely 2-5 sets will do the trick..most tend worry so much about their "bicep routine" and forget what it is that really buils muscle in the first place..i mean whats better for your biceps rowing 400 or doing and isoalted curl

Hell, there is no way I'd go to the gym just for arms. Hell, I have a setup at home - I wouldn't even bother racking up some weight. LOL

But you're dead on. That's the number one thing people say when they see it. They don't realize that your arms take a beating from pressing 3 days per week with some serious volume and rowing/chinning will hit the bis 3 days also. If direct emphais was the major contributor to arm growth you'd think all the noodlearms that spend their workouts curling in the mirror would have guns (it ain't diet that's holding them back from ferocious gains). In truth, their time is better spent squatting, rowing, pressing, and pulling but I guess that's too extreme a thought and they prefer to remain small and put in another few years. At most I tell them to add some barbell curls for no more than 3 sets and some type of extension for the same.

JS Row is second post from the bottom here: http://www.elitefitness.com/forum/showthread.php?t=366601&page=1

well personally I liked the 5x5 routine because it was pretty hard to plateau on it, once you couldn't lift anymore with 5x5 it switchs to 5x3 and once you plateau on that you cut back the weight and hit the 5x5 again, but the one madcow posted is probably better .. you just pack on tons of mass and your lifts shoot through the roof ( for the average person )

Top Bottom