Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

5-HTP is No Joke!

try cycling it. something like 5 days on 2 days off. that's what i do when i get the "blah's". what i like about 5-htp is that i can feel the effects almost immediately.

jon: where did you buy yours and what brand is it? iusually take 300mg of it at night and i dont think it does crap, but it might be the brand.

michaelt said:
jon: where did you buy yours and what brand is it? iusually take 300mg of it at night and i dont think it does crap, but it might be the brand.

I started out with Natrol from a super market. THen I bought NOW brand from Vitaglo, 100mg and they are really good.

Last night I woke up in the middle of the night so I took 200 mg and went back to bed. Wow, Almost immediately I was in some weird fuckin' dreams. It was like tripping. Crazy.

I'm not sure it was entirely restful--I think I may confine my usage to waking hours from now on.

JC

i've had the same problem...i can only take it at night when i know i'm not going anywhere; otherwise i'd probably fall asleep on my friends. it does give some pretty great dreams though...and helps me fall asleep quick. i just wish i could take it during the day.

I sometimes take 5-htp at night. When I take 5-htp during the daytime, I tend to get lazy and sleepy and feel very emotional with people. I don't like that feeling. I also think that 5-htp decreases testosterone slightly. When I take 5-htp during the daytime, my intensity at the gym diminishes and don't have that aggressive rush. It's good for sleep, but I would stay away from it during the daytime. I found that inositol works better for the daytime. It does not get you all emotional with people like 5-htp does and still decreases anxiety just as well.

Millie said:
try cycling it. something like 5 days on 2 days off. that's what i do when i get the "blah's". what i like about 5-htp is that i can feel the effects almost immediately.

I heard from a doctor that Floxetine (prozac) and 5htp do wonders but I did dome web research and mostly it was advised as something with potential side effects. Any Xperiences?

http://home.caregroup.org/clinical/altmed/interactions/Nutrients/5-HTP.htm

nutrient affecting drug performance and toxicity: Fluoxetine (Prozac®)

• mechanism: While fluoxetine works to increase the functional level of serotonin by inhibiting its reuptake, 5-HTP is converted into serotonin in the brain. Simultaneously taking fluoxetine and 5-HTP could result in excessive levels of serotonin. Such a combination could produce an adverse reaction in the form of serotonin syndrome; it could also alter the levels of other related hormones..

• research: Meltzer et al have found that fluoxetine potentiates the 5-hydroxytryptophan-mediated increase in plasma cortisol and prolactin secretion in subjects with major depression or with obsessive compulsive disorder.
(Meltzer H, et al. Neuropsychopharmacology. 1997 Jul;17(1):1-11.)

• nutritional concerns: Even though a potentially valuable synergy might conceivably develop from the careful combining of fluoxetine and 5-hydroxytryptophan, such experimentation would be premature until more thorough research has been conducted. Individuals taking fluoxetine should avoid using 5-HTP as a supplement if they are taking fluoxetine or any other SSRI drug.

I have always heard never to take 5-HTP with any SSRI

Anthrax said:
I have always heard never to take 5-HTP with any SSRI

i have heard the same thing. one of the reasons is that the 5-HTP and SSRI combo could lead to serotonin syndrom.

The first time I took it I took 50mg, about an hour later I got a weird feeling like I was happy for no reason. That lasted about 5 minutes and I haven't felt jack from this stuff (varied doses too) since :(

To me, it's a waste of money.

Top Bottom