Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

3 Down - 1 Up?

MaGilicuti

You guys are familiar with the 3/1 right. Not sure of its exact name but there are a couple variations of it. For example bench press lowering it slowly which should take 3 seconds and lifting it up real quick which should take 1 second. What do you guys think about that? Anyone with alot of gains off that? I just want some opinions on this

just read actually in the NASM training guide that 3 sec down, 1 sec up, 2 sec isometric contraction is for hypertrophy (muscle growth). 6 sec total for each rep. it also suggests that only 3-8 sets total per bodypart. can you imagine the work done in such a short amount of time?

im about to implement it soon.

Yeah I was thinking about strictly just doing this. Do you know if it works the same for all muscle groups?

thats my main concern. i would think so though. as long as you can squeeze it for the 2 seconds. (that will be a killer).

traps, yes
chest
back
legs
shoulders
bis
tris
abs
calves
forearms

yep looks like it will work.

oh man, this is gonna hurt. hehe.

since it will be much harder to do we will have to do lower weight. how do you think that will effect strength or does that not concern you?

MaGilicuti said:
since it will be much harder to do we will have to do lower weight. how do you think that will effect strength or does that not concern you?
strength will go down a bit....but will come up that much faster, stability will increase. there is no room for cheating which can rob you of strong contractions throughout a particular range of motion. the intensity level goes up a notch so your body adapts.

s@@t yeah bro. 301 is the way to go.
by the way, thats the way you write it.
the first number is how long it takes to lower it. second is how long you pause for and the last is how long it takes to lift it (if there is an X on the last one that equals explosive lift)

I though i controled the lowering of my weight quite well.....but it turns out i was doing a 101.
If your trying for hypertrophy a slower lowering will blast your muscles in a good way.

I tryed it for the first time last week. I dont usually feel soreness......man it almost killed me. felt so good....like i finally got a good work out.

I have read a few things about it.....the first book said the lowering of the weight acctually activates hypertropy.

The other thing i read was "it shouldnt be called lifting weights...but lowering weight"

Have you ever seen "negative training" Just say your doing bench press. Your spotter will help you lift the weight....cause it will be to heavy...but your task is too lower the weight as slowly as possible...killer

Time under tension=intensty
(there are other factors involved like weight a angle)
but you get the idea

as they say time is everything.

i hope this helps......im a bit tired so i hope it makes sence

Top Bottom