Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

2008 Competition Prep and Training

Re: 2008 Competition Preparation

thandie said:
Yes, you can get ripped without the use of performance enhancing agents.
I think looked pretty lean for my comp (not like a BB, but pretty lean). The problem is that dieting is very hard, you must lower your carbs and sometimes protein, do lots of cardio, you have to eat 100% clean for quite a while, drink a gallon of water a day and 1.5 gallon on peak week. After a while you get cranky from dieting. However, you can do it. Most people A- don't want to go through it and B-Don't know how to manipulate the food to that extreme. It's pure science. However, you can never get huge and ripped only dieting..

I have heard it said by enhanced athletes and I have seen it as well, that natural competitive BBers are able to come in far more dry, and then often look a lot more shredded than those that use performance enhancing drugs due to the tendency to hold more water, both in the muscle and intracellularly.

I must admit, I can almost see it on the faces of the new young training lads in the gym when they see my training buddy and I in the gym (he has a good shape and a lot of size).........................

they want to look the same way, but you can tell they think it is drugs.

My training buddy isn't nattie, he is not on constantly either, he does cycle every now and then, but he does know how to train for his body type and how to train with intensity.

I do find it amazing that people don't put two and two together, there we are in the gym, loading up the bars, hauling heavy dumbells to the benches that NEED a training buddy to help you put them up, the embarassing grunts, the forced reps, getting seriously sweaty while training..............

Last night was awesome training, as I am not freaking hungry and full on the diet yet (I had protein bars yesterday), I went for more weight.

Chest

Bench press (god this is slow in progressing) 65 kg/143 lb

I did have to have a spot for this, but I haven't added anything to the bar in AGES, so I thought it was about time

DB incline bench 25 kg/55 lb dumbells (this was awesome)

DB flat flyes 17.5 kg/38.5 lb

One set of dips to failure

Biceps

Barbell curls 25 kg/55 lb (I have to increase this weight, this is EASY, I just never take bicep training seriously, my bad)

preacher curls - free weights 23 kg/50 lb

Calves

Donkey raises 160 kg/352 lbs

I am finishing off my last re-write of my results for my master's over the next two days, so I probably will not train tonight, my body does need a wee break to recover from these two sessions.

Tatyana said:
I have heard it said by enhanced athletes and I have seen it as well, that natural competitive BBers are able to come in far more dry, and then often look a lot more shredded than those that use performance enhancing drugs due to the tendency to hold more water, both in the muscle and intracellularly.

I must admit, I can almost see it on the faces of the new young training lads in the gym when they see my training buddy and I in the gym (he has a good shape and a lot of size).........................

they want to look the same way, but you can tell they think it is drugs.

My training buddy isn't nattie, he is not on constantly either, he does cycle every now and then, but he does know how to train for his body type and how to train with intensity.

I do find it amazing that people don't put two and two together, there we are in the gym, loading up the bars, hauling heavy dumbells to the benches that NEED a training buddy to help you put them up, the embarassing grunts, the forced reps, getting seriously sweaty while training..............

Last night was awesome training, as I am not freaking hungry and full on the diet yet (I had protein bars yesterday), I went for more weight.

Chest

Bench press (god this is slow in progressing) 65 kg/143 lb

I did have to have a spot for this, but I haven't added anything to the bar in AGES, so I thought it was about time

DB incline bench 25 kg/55 lb dumbells (this was awesome)

DB flat flyes 17.5 kg/38.5 lb

One set of dips to failure

Biceps

Barbell curls 25 kg/55 lb (I have to increase this weight, this is EASY, I just never take bicep training seriously, my bad)

preacher curls - free weights 23 kg/50 lb

Calves

Donkey raises 160 kg/352 lbs

I am finishing off my last re-write of my results for my master's over the next two days, so I probably will not train tonight, my body does need a wee break to recover from these two sessions.

You're right! the enhanced physique holds more water. It's funny, but you can tell the difference. When I did my first show I saw the difference more clearly..

I love dunky calves, but unfortunately we don't have one at my current gym.

thandie said:
You're right! the enhanced physique holds more water. It's funny, but you can tell the difference. When I did my first show I saw the difference more clearly..

I love dunky calves, but unfortunately we don't have one at my current gym.
you can recreate the donkey calve raises by bending over a bench stiff legged feet on a block of wood and have someone place a weightplate on your glutes/lower back. You are really just after the stretch so i dont you need to do much weight even a 25lb plate with the gastro/solius fully stetched and contracted at the top would prob feel really good

chazk said:
you can recreate the donkey calve raises by bending over a bench stiff legged feet on a block of wood and have someone place a weightplate on your glutes/lower back. You are really just after the stretch so i dont you need to do much weight even a 25lb plate with the gastro/solius fully stetched and contracted at the top would prob feel really good

I will defenitely try that! Thank you, Chazk!

WOW, hard to believe it has been a week since I posted.

I took last week off dieting and cardio, still trained.

This week, back on it and I am getting my mojo on again.

I have learned quite a bit from dieting/not dieting and not qualifying this time around.

- I need to have diet breaks, higher carb days 'cheat meals'.

My cheats are never anything outrageous, I go for things like tofu cheesecake sweetened with agave syrup, or Dr.Karg's crispbreads, or just have a high carb day, usually from things like rice cakes.

- I need to plan my cheats for after a comp, and also plan carefully coming off a comp diet.

If I have it around, I will eat it. After dieting without any cheat meals for so long, the more goodies I have, the more of them I will eat, thinking the sooner I get rid of them the sooner I can get back to eating healthy again.

Really doesn't work all that well, no moderation.

Moderation is GOOD probably 95% of the time.

- Eating less/being a bit hungry is a lot better than eating to much and feeling stuffed.

Being really full, or too full just feels terrible.

- coming off your diet/healthy eating program is not the end of the world, everything is not ruined.

Dieting and eating healthy is never going to be perfect, so there is not point in trying to make it perfect. Really, it is just setting yourself up for failure and disappointment.

Just set a date to get back on your diet.

I am already looking at what I am going to do in the offseason.

I have about two months planned, and I will be taking 2-3 weeks off completely at around Christmas.

My training buddy has been unwell all week, it has been a nice change training on my own, it is working really well for doing cardio after training.

WOW, hard to believe it has been a week since I posted.

I took last week off dieting and cardio, still trained.

This week, back on it and I am getting my mojo on again.

I have learned quite a bit from dieting/not dieting and not qualifying this time around.

- I need to have diet breaks, higher carb days 'cheat meals'.

My cheats are never anything outrageous, I go for things like tofu cheesecake sweetened with agave syrup, or Dr.Karg's crispbreads, or just have a high carb day, usually from things like rice cakes.

- I need to plan my cheats for after a comp, and also plan carefully coming off a comp diet.

If I have it around, I will eat it. After dieting without any cheat meals for so long, the more goodies I have, the more of them I will eat, thinking the sooner I get rid of them the sooner I can get back to eating healthy again.

Really doesn't work all that well, no moderation.

Moderation is GOOD probably 95% of the time.

- Eating less/being a bit hungry is a lot better than eating to much and feeling stuffed.

Being really full, or too full just feels terrible.

- coming off your diet/healthy eating program is not the end of the world, everything is not ruined.

Dieting and eating healthy is never going to be perfect, so there is not point in trying to make it perfect. Really, it is just setting yourself up for failure and disappointment.

Just set a date to get back on your diet.

I am already looking at what I am going to do in the offseason.

I have about two months planned, and I will be taking 2-3 weeks off completely at around Christmas.

My training buddy has been unwell all week, it has been a nice change training on my own, it is working really well for doing cardio after training.

Good to have you back, Tat!

I'm with you. If I eat too much, I feel dreadful, but when my macros are lower, I feel great. Hungry, but my body feels great. I've been getting 150p, 200c and 25f and I feel stuffed and bloated all the time. My pro and carbs will get lower soon and I'm looking forward to it.
I have been very strict and good with my diet without cheatings. I haven't had a cheat meal in months, but that's my personality and it doesn't bother me. Now, if I have to do another show in November as I was planning, then I'd be missing a cheat meal. But I'm not going to do it. I need a break after this..

My diet and cardio mojo are off.

:(

Training is cool, and while I am back on the diet, temptation is almost out of order, and not inspired to do cardio, so I am only doing minimal cardio.

For example, I trained and did cardio on Thursday, but didn't get back to the gym till tonight, and only did 30 min of cardio.

To make matters worse, I can't find my heart rate monitor.

It wouldn't be such a big deal if I wasn't planning on doing another qualifier in two weeks.

There is another one after this, and another two/three federations, but the other feddies were not part of my plan.

It is really tough sometimes not to put all sorts of pressure on myself, there will be other BBing comps, I have been really successful this year in putting on some muscle, but I would love to know that I can get completely shredded again.

So if any of you have any helpful tips, suggestions, I would love to hear from you.

:heart:

My diet and cardio mojo are off.

:(

Training is cool, and while I am back on the diet, temptation is almost out of order, and not inspired to do cardio, so I am only doing minimal cardio.

For example, I trained and did cardio on Thursday, but didn't get back to the gym till tonight, and only did 30 min of cardio.

To make matters worse, I can't find my heart rate monitor.

It wouldn't be such a big deal if I wasn't planning on doing another qualifier in two weeks.

There is another one after this, and another two/three federations, but the other feddies were not part of my plan.

It is really tough sometimes not to put all sorts of pressure on myself, there will be other BBing comps, I have been really successful this year in putting on some muscle, but I would love to know that I can get completely shredded again.

So if any of you have any helpful tips, suggestions, I would love to hear from you.

:heart:

Tat, if you want me to help you get shreded, let me know..

Top Bottom