Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

gaining mass

Im having trouble with gaining size. im 5 11" 185-190 lbs. i cut down to 170 over the summer and could see my abs pretty good and had good definition but i looked really skinny. i tried to bulk up a bit but seem to only gain fat and not really any noticeable muscle mass. i try to eat really clean and get a lot of protein and calories.
my workout is as follows-

day 1- back and bi's
bent over rows- 6-10x3
bent over rows- 12x3
close grip curls- 6-8x2
wide grip curls-6-8x2
incline curls-8x3
close grip 21's- 1 set
wide grip 21's- 1 set

day 2- Chest and tri's
Bench press-4-6x3
Bench press-10-12x3
Skullcrushers- 6x3
Skullcrushers 12x2
or
incline dumbell press-6x3
flat dumbell press- 6x3
dumbell flies- 12x3
Skullcrushers- 6x3
Skullcrushers 12x2

day 3- Shoulders
dumbell shoulder press- 4-8x3
rows- 8x3
barbell Shrugs-8x2
Lateral raises- 10x3

You aren't getting bigger because there are absolutely no compound movements in your routine. Don't take this wrong, but you are part of the "bench and curl" club.

Your whole routine needs to be based on heavy squats, deadlifts, bench, and some type of overhead pressing. If you aren't doing these, you are wasting time and energy.

Look up Wendler's 531. Do it for 3 months or until you can squat (at least to parallel) 2x your BW, deadlift 2.5x your bw, bench your bw, and OHP your bw - all for at least 3 reps. Then you can start shaping your body. You also need to be eating at least 1.5 grams of protein for each lb of body weight.

B-

i dont have a squat rack so im pretty much out of luck on that. i had deads in my routine on back day but it was causing my traps to be too sore for shoulder day. ive been lifting for about 2 years now also if that helps.

he gave you the absolute best advice possible...
find a way to squat... it dosnt have to be back breaking weight, use a weight you can power clean and do front squats...
if you have a bench, you can get under the bar with your back to get it up.. you just might have to do higher reps... 20 rep squats work... just stop before failure so you dont have to drop it...
deadlifts will make your traps sore... theyre better for you than shoulder presses, and you can press again when/if your traps stop getting sore...
be creative...
your 2 years of training is only as meaningful as what you have accomplished... listen to bblazer, he knows his shit...

i dont have a squat rack so im pretty much out of luck on that. i had deads in my routine on back day but it was causing my traps to be too sore for shoulder day. ive been lifting for about 2 years now also if that helps.

That soreness you feel is weakness leaving the body.

The fact that your traps got sore from deadlifting (rather than your erector chain) tells me that you have a deficit there. The way to fix that is with more deadlifts.

You might want to get a book called Strength Training Anatomy by Frederic Delavier. It really details the lifts and what/how they affect the various muscle groups. Plus there are TONS of great anatomical diagrams of muscles in action.

This might help you in selecting exercises that go along with what equipment you have, and still get the best benefit.

The worst thing you want is to look top heavy and chicken legged.

B-

im gonna throw deadlifts back in my day 1 if that sounds good. also im gonna try and do light weight squats and see what i can do. maybe try front squats. any other suggestions? my lifts arent that horrible i can 4x4 205lbs on bench, deadlift 300lbs for 4 reps. but for some reason i just dont look all that big. im definitely gonna use more compounds though since it seems like that will help me gain size. il post up my diet when i get home from school but i usually get in 185-200 g of protien per day

im gonna throw deadlifts back in my day 1 if that sounds good. also im gonna try and do light weight squats and see what i can do. maybe try front squats. any other suggestions? my lifts arent that horrible i can 4x4 205lbs on bench, deadlift 300lbs for 4 reps. but for some reason i just dont look all that big. im definitely gonna use more compounds though since it seems like that will help me gain size. il post up my diet when i get home from school but i usually get in 185-200 g of protien per day

Then dump the rows. You wont need them, and you will have too much volume.

B-

this is difficult to say without sounding like i'm slinging shit on you, but i am yet to see anybody who lifts that, with any considerable size. set your goals and get the lifts up. the fact that i agree with the other statements RE squats and deadlifts is a given also. best of luck my friend.

Try Zercher squats. You can go to Home Depot and get 2 of those yellow pre fab sawhorses to hold the bar for you and youre all set to start squatin bro!

Last edited:
Top Bottom