Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Slow metabolism -need help!!!

geness

Let me start by giving everyone a little info about me. I am a 22 year old female. I have been working out faithfully for the past five years. I do cardio 6 days a week. I do an hour of intense cardio in the morning on an empty stomach. According to the machine I burn about 900 calories -supposably (you can never really trust these things). I lift in the afternoon, doing one bodypart per day- 3 sets of three diffrent exercises with my rep range between 12-15. I weight 126 pds, I'm 5'4, fairly muscular and defined at about 13% bodyfat.

Here's my question. My diet is a complete mess. I am currently trying to overcome an eating disorder (bulimia) that I have delt with for the past five years. My normal calorie intake is about 700-1000 calories a day- I know very low. The problem is that I can maintain my current weight on these many calories because my metabolism is so slow. I know that I need to definatley increase my daily intake of calories, but I don't want to gain weight. Does anyone know or have any ideas on what i should do to help increase my calories and also my metabolism??

I eat several small meals throughout the day- mostly lean protien, fruit and lots of vegetables. I would appreciate any help, ideas or feedback from anyone. I am so sick of letting this eating disorder control my life. Sorry this is so long and thanks for any help in advance. I just want to say all of yous out there are such an inspiration to me- Keep up the hard work!!

Have you considered going to the doctor and getting a thyroid panel? You may have a hyperactive thyroid.

I'm not sure they'd prescribe Cytomel (T3) because they'll say you're healthy. However if that is the case, you may want to get T3.

Well at your size, you need around 2000 cals on your workout days, give or take 50 - 75. So you've got alotta eating to do. You just hafta slowly work your way up. On the days you do not workout, hit more around 1500 cals. Based on the general foods you say you eat, I can say that you need more protein and more fat. Vegetables are good, but make sure you limit them. You're on the right track of several small meals throughout the day to get more calories. I'm thinking your meals are a little too small. As you slowly progress on your way to more food, you're gonna hafta deal with a weight gain in the beginning. But once your body realizes that it is getting enough food, your metabolism will speed up and your weight gains will drop down again. It's also important to stay hydrated at all times. Again, you will experience weight gains from this too...as your body will store all your water until it realizes that there is enough.

I have been seeing both a counselor and nutritionist. The nutritionist told me that i needed to increase my calorie intake to at least 1600 calories a day, but i know that i will ballon up if I start eating that much right away because i have done so much damage to my metabolism. Thank you everyone for the advice. if anyone has anymore ideas or advice I'm listening!

Dear geness,

First, I'd like to congratulate you on the big step you made in life.

Now, let's talk diet:
Ok, I'm going to tell you that you need to up your calories, but, since you've been informed about it before, here's what you need to try....first, goto the doctor and get your thyroid checked, now, I wouldn't really recommend T3, just try to achieve a higher metabolism naturaly.
Ways to achieve a higher metabolism:
Sprints, high-rep squats (50-100 reps), high-intensity jump rope, and sprints again :)..(sprints are the best in my view)
As far as diet, try this: add 1 tbsp. of flaxseed oil in the morning for 7 days, then the next 7 days add 1 tbsp. of flaxseed in the morning and 1tbsp. of flaxseed in the afternoon. Then for the next 7 days add 1tbsp. of flaxseed --morning,afternoon, and before bed--- (add a lot more vegetables too)...I can give you my personal word that you will NOT gain fat by adding flaxseed oil to your diet.
This will eventually add 400 calories to your diet, and then once you have upped your calories, we can work from there.

Mr.X :cool:

Mr. X,

Thank you so much for this advice- it sounds very reasonable and I will definitely give it a try. I have heard many good things about flax seed oil so adding it to my diet doesn't seem so scary. I'll keep you updated on how I'm doing and I have to admit that I'm actually excited to try this.

Again, Thank you so much!! :)

Top Bottom