Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

To bulk or not to bulk 2.5 months out from nationals

Bigbear

High End Bro
Platinum
Hey everyone,

I am a frequent viewer of the board but I rarely contribute, however I feel that this is a good a place as any to come get some opinions on an important decision I need to make.

A little background.. I am 17 years old 195 lbs at 5'11 and roughly 6% bodyfat (as accurate as a skinfold can get).

Anyhow.. I have been training effectively and eating a certain way for quite some years now. I am committed to the lifestyle I feel best suites me and I would not have it any other way. Within the last 2 years I have really dedicated my efforts to taking advantage of my naturally verile growth stage.. meaning my teenage years, and have realized that now is the time to form a good solid muscular base when my body is naturally primed for growth and change and when I have the kind of time and discipline to do it the way I feel is right. I am endowed with patience and foresight and I realize that anything worth working for, especially something as complex as my body takes time and effort to build effectively. I am well versed in the sciences which are the center of my lifestyle.. meaning biochemistry, biology, physiology, some endocrinology,etc. When I decided to live the way I do I decided I would make the greatest effort to seek information that will enable me to produce the kind of body I desire..

Anyhow.. this year I decided I would enter my first competion. In doing so, my motives were not to gain recognition or respect but to do something in which what I am doing represents the culmination of everything that is included in my lifestyle.. all the reading, the cooking, the training, the discipline, etc. I knew what I had to do, and after coming out of my bulking season right around march, after doing 5 months of massive eating and HST I weighed in at 220 from 180 in nov. Of that.. 15 lbs was lean muscle.. not bad for 5 months. In March, I started my contest dieting.. My contest was to be May 1. Given 8 weeks I slowly phased out excessive carbs, decreased my calories to maintainance but changed my training to a modified westside style and I naturally got cardio with lacrosse practice. Everything was on track and this past weekend I came in at 192 looking nicely ripped and proportional. I had attained pretty much what I wanted. When I get pictures on the comp I will post some. This was my first contest. It was an NPC. It was fucking awesome. I have never felt anything so rewarding and intense as doing my first contesat. I won my class and now I am going to to nationals on July 23.

Now.. I wouldnt consider myself massive by any means.. however given my age I have a great deal more muscular development than the majority of my peers. This is not to say I am the biggest kid around, because I know there are those misguided 15 year old douches who get ahold of some juice in the football room and come in looking like blimps, but the difference is that I possess a very symmetrical and proportional physique with my greatest attribute being my legs. I made certain to develop my body as equally as possible to ensure that look that is appealing and function. This winter the greatest new growth occured in my lats, quads and chest and so I am pleased because I now have a nice v-taper and solid legs to show at nationals. Quite frankly I am not really impressed with the other teen competitors I see in some contests and so I feel I have a really solid chance. I saw last years winner and he is well developed but not much more than I am and he was 18 at the time so that is a full year on me.

My big decision lies here. I am lean and like the way I look right now but I want to ensure that I do well at nationals. I have 2.5 months.. roughly 11 weeks until the contest. Do I try to go back into hypertrophy mode with focus on a seriously precise diet which will have the same caloric magnitude (5000 cals) but emphasizing entirely clean foods.. all the time and training in the morning so to ensure that I stop eating abudant carbs after 12 pm and eating mostly protein/fat meals.

I really think if I plan out my meals precisely with the right nutrient timing and training in the morning I think I can stay relatively lean maybe even lean up more and put on some more mass. I think I can if I do it right. During the winter I really stay clean but I would throw in a cheat meal too frequently knowing I had time to lose it in the spring. Now I don't have that.

My other option is to maintain what I got now and just live keep training to maintain size and strength and then come in to nationals more ripped and probably more vascular.

I really need to know what you would do if you were in my position. I will go more into detail about my diet if it is needed but I will summarize it by saying..

I am believer in nutrient timing and macro combination.. meaning I trying to keep most my of carb/protein meals around my training time.. pre and post and then phase out carbs towards bedtime. I follow a massive eating (JB from t-mag style) with a little tweaking.

Thanks in advance

Alexander

Here are some pics my mid-contest day posing in my hotel room. Sorry for the bad quality of the pics. It should be noted that I am holding some water because I just had a big chinese meal after I locked it up in the pre-judge.

alex1.jpg

alex1007.jpg

Top Bottom