Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Did I Give My Daughter Good College/Life Advice?

curling

She want to be a DA and eventually go into politics. She is going to a community college now. She wanted to get a associate in criminal justice before transferring to a 4 year school. I told her that was a waste of time because nobody cares about associate degrees.

I told her to focus on core transferable classes to a four year school and she should change her major to either marketing or accounting instead of criminal justice then go to law school. The way I look at it even if she does want to be a lawyer having an accounting degree makes you more marketable in case the DA doesn't pan out. Did I tell her right?

how many of the accounting and marketing classes are going to be transferable towards a law degree (as anything other than electives)?

randk said:
how many of the accounting and marketing classes are going to be transferable towards a law degree (as anything other than electives)?

I didn't know you needed transfer classes for a law degree. I thought once you a had a bachelor you can just go if you gpa is high enough. Is this correct anybody?

I agree with what you said.

Though ultimately it comes down to her and if she'd be happy doing it. Accounting isnt the easiest of majors - and she just might find it boring. It would certainly make her more marketable and decent money right out of college.

You gave her pretty good advice. Although Associates degrees in some fields do carry some weight. Knocking out the core work at CC or JC is a great idea, and yes as long as your grades are high enough and you can pass the tests you can get into law school with any BS/BA although a lot of schools offer a pre-law track so you might want to look into that.

Cheers,
Scotsman

Sound advice in my opinion. i wish someone had told me something like that when I was in junior college so I didn't waste so much time on classes I don't need.

curling said:
She want to be a DA and eventually go into politics. She is going to a community college now. She wanted to get a associate in criminal justice before transferring to a 4 year school. I told her that was a waste of time because nobody cares about associate degrees.

I told her to focus on core transferable classes to a four year school and she should change her major to either marketing or accounting instead of criminal justice then go to law school. The way I look at it even if she does want to be a lawyer having an accounting degree makes you more marketable in case the DA doesn't pan out. Did I tell her right?
thought you were the one to mention transferable credits? just meant that her plan had her working in the same direction is all.

Not bad advice.... but in my experience an accounting degree can be damned hard if you aren't interested in accounting. As someone who knows quite a bit about law school admissions, I would tell her to get her degree in whatever the hell she can get straight A's in.

Law school admissions is a numbers game, and the ONLY numbers that matter are your GPA and your LSAT score. If she is looking at a top law school, she needs: well above a 3.7 GPA, LSAT above 170'ish, and lots of extras. Tell her to get involved. She needs volunteer experience, something that will make her personal statement stand out - a story that will make her unique to law school admissions counselors. She should get involved with student organizations, be a candy striper at a hospital, volunteer with habitat for humanity... anything that will elevate her in case her numbers are not stellar.

You can PM me for more advice if you need it. Law School is something she needs to plan for NOW.

good advice. AA degrees are worthless.

aandd's advice is good for a top 10 law school, but you can get into a top 100 law school with a gpa anywhere in the 3's and an LSAT of 160+

Just make sure (to save some money) that she takes as many classes as she can toward her 4 year degree at a smaller school and then trasnfer to a big name school for graduation. You'll save money by not paying the big school tuition for 4 years, but when she graduates her diploma will still say "big name school".

Top Bottom