Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Supplements for a noob

fat56

I know you guys know how to bulk and how to get lean, so I hope you can help me.

So here's the deal. I am 6' 1" and weigh in at 329lbs and 39 years old. Yeah..sexy as hell. Good news is I am down from 355. I started working out and am doing my best to follow Milos Sarkev's diet plan...i'm doing really well with it.
Anyway, what can I do to get this weight off and pack on some muscle? I'm not looking for easy...just sick of looking like crap. I have been told by a bodybuilding friend that I have the perfect body for bodybuilding and he said that when I'm big like I am it would be perfect to bulk up while I lose weight.

Here is what I've been doing:

I started out working out once a week and am up to three times a week. I am really starting to like it for the first time in my life (I played college basketball but always hated working out). I have been doing great on my diet eating about 300g of protein and not going over 100g of carbs a day, just about zero fat intake as well.
Supplements: I got some dagger....boy this stuff is hard to take! Smells horrible and the lemonade flavor is not good. I have to hold my nose and chug it as fast as possible. I can't say i've noticed any benefits yet but I'm only at day 6. I am looking forward to the test boost.
I've also been taking muscle milk. Unfortunately, I read this stuff isn't the best, or really even good for you after, I purchased it. I'm going to finish this tub before switching to ????

I kinda doubt any of you guys have ever been as overweight as me; however, i am confident there are plenty of people on here that can help. I need all the help I can get!

So what supplements should I be taking and when? I probably don't need as much help with the exercise regimen at this point as I'm doing about all I can do. I am completely spent at the end of my workout (mostly weights and kettle bells) and seeing improvement daily...which is flippin' awesome! Lastly, any opinions on diet? I like Milos's diet, I'm just wondering if there is any new science out there that might be better.

Thanks in advance.

Hi Fat56!

Wow nice work. I admire you aspiration to get down from that kind of weight and get healthy and fit :).
As for your workout, what type of cardio are you doing? I'm sure you know that cardio leads to fat loss so I don't need to go there. As for the diet, how many calories are you consuming per day and what ratio of carbs, protein and fats? Sorry i am not too familiar with Milos's diet but id imagine it'll be high calorie which is probably not what you need right now.

As for supplements, the essential (in my eyes) for any form of workout regime are:

1. Protein.
Protein is essential for supplementing your diet when (as the majority of us) cannot get enough protein from whole foods to hit the amount you need per day. Taking into consideration you weight and desire to lose it, may i suggest a diet protein. A good one is Reflex Diet Protein. It has reduced fat content and less carbs than a normal protein blend.

2. Creatine.
This product is fantastic for its muscle building and repair benefits to your workout. It will help you to repair quicker the muscles that you tore during exercise and develop a quality dense lean muscle which is exactly what your going for.

3. Multi-Vitamin.
This is a staple for me personally due to the need to replace and get the essential vitamins and minerals that our bodies require to function and stay healthy. Again, this is just my personal preference but it does help. You should also take Omega 3 fish oils as a healthy fat which will benefit you rather than the saturated and poly-unsaturated fats which are bad.

Other Supplements That I Use.

Need2Slin.
You will see many write-ups on this forum about this product. None of them do it the justice it deserves. It shuttles proteins away from fatty areas and sticks them right where you need them - in the muscle tissue. If you want any more info on this product p/m needtogetaas. He owns the company and is fantastic in his advice.

Pre-Workout.
You seem pretty focused in the gym right now so you may not need it. A good pre-workout/NO2 booster will give you the focus you need if you do struggle to get motivated. Also the NO2 booster will give you a great pump in the gym and make your muscle flushed (definitely worth it :))

However, most crucial point to make which I'm sure you have heard before, muscle is not built in the gym. Make sure your diet and training regime is spot on and you will notice the difference in your workouts and overall physique.

Happy training mate, keep us all updated with your progress.

^^^^^This is an excellent post. Bro check out needtobuildmuscle.net for all your supps. Excellent quality, fast shipping and the best customer service in the industry.

tith and obsessed, Thanks a bunch!!

Indeed I have heard and am becoming a believer in "muscle is not built in the gym." I am going to pm needto as you suggest....I see a lot of people recommending him and have read many of his posts.

As for calories, Milos says not to be concerned with them. He basically states that if you eat al least six (I think) times a day and limit carbs to 100g, cut fat except what is in your meat intake, and eat 1g of protein per lb of body weight you will be good to go. I calculated my intake yesterday and I had just over 1500 calories, which is well below normal. I could be wrong...probably am...but I'm almost certain I get right around 2000 cals a day. I need to keep a log.

Right now cardio is pretty difficult for me. I have knee issues from old bball injuries...well, okay, and being a fat ass ;p. I need to get out and walk everyday for at least 20 minutes. However, I feel like I'm on the right track. Seriously, I have always hated working out. I still get about halfway through my workout and want to quit but holy cow I feel so much after only a month of doing it. I'm going to keep progressing slowly so I don't hurt myself...but yes, I really need to get some cardio in.

Seriously guys, thank you!!

fats

No problem :) that what were all here for.

I had a quick look at Milos's diet plan and it pretty sound. The only thing i would change is increase protein per pound from 1g to 1.5gs per lb. But then again thats what works for me. If you've found this works for you stick to it until it stops then mix it up a bit to kick start the weight loss again.

As for the cardio. Make sure you don't do anything to stress that old injury and cause it to flare up again. Make sure your knee is supported, perhaps try swimming for cardio if you can as its supported exercise and should be too strenuous on that knee :). Just remember when you hit that wall and you want to quit, think of what you will look like after 3 months and how good you will feel :).

Ok, now I have to give my $.02 here...congratulations to your lifestyle change bro...always keep that in mind, it is a change in the positive direction for your overall health and wellbeing. You have been given some sound advice from all here, so dialing in nutrition first, exercise and cardio next, then comes supplements...in that order! The emphasis needs to be on your nutrition, so head over to the nutrition and diet forum and check it out. Whole foods is what you want, lots of veggies, fruits, lean proteins, whole grains, stay away from anything white (breads, rice, potatoes, etc.) and opt for more fibrous carbohydrate sources (Ezekiel breads, brown rice, yams or sweet potatoes), and once again...lots of green veggies!!!

As far as cardio, need to get something going bro...yes be conscious of your knee but at the same time you need to strengthen it as well, swimming is a great choice for low impact, but also just need to get your heart rate up to fat burning zone to expend calories, which is between 120-130 bpm...so work on that.

Also make sure you drink your water, water is critical for burning fat. Staying hydrated is very important, so just keep that bottle of water with you at all times.

Finally...adequate sleep!!! Need to get your 8 hours beauty sleep...sleep is also a factor in fat loss, so make sure you are getting enough sleep.

Bro, exercise is fun...repeat after me...EXERCISE IS FUN!!! If you find things that you enjoy doing for exercise then you will be more.driven to do it...if you tell yourself I hate it, you will find excuses not to do it...and set attainable goals for yourself and write them down, review them everyday, tell yourself "I like myself and I am worth it!" Change your attitude about it and be the change you want to see in yourself! If you do this, if you have the desire and motivation to change your current lifestyle to your new lifestyle...there is nothing you can't do that you set your mind to!

Like OWL said, NTBM is the place for the supplements that will help you obtain your goals, but they are not the magic formula to your success...nutrition, exercise, and the lifestyle change is #1!

Best of luck bro...you can do this!!!

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using EliteFitness

^Excellent post and advice from muscle Addiction, and I agree with all of it!

At this point in the game, diet is key and where you will make your physical changes. The exercise is obviously important as well, but the supplements are not going to matter a whole lot right now. If anything just stick to staples. That us all you need...protein, multi, fish oil, BCAAs, and creatine. You may also throw a preworkout in there for a little boost.

You are at a big advantage right now with just getting going on everything, because initial strength and muscle gains come much easier than they will after you've done it for a while. Make sure to get cardio in where you can. If you have joint or knee issues or whatever that is fine, just do some incline treadmill walking that should be easier on you or try the elliptical. Low intensity cardio us actually great for fat loss anyways.

Good luck!

Great posts here not much i can say. Consistency is key. Supplements I would get a good whey (n2bm whey is my favorite).
also n2kts would be a great preworkout to get you amped.

Multi/Fish Oils/good diet is a good basic starting point. Later on I would add fat burners/n2 amp etc.

Let us know if you have questions.

Wow, thank you guys.

I should have mentioned, I have taken about six months of working solely on diet doing exactly what muscleaddiction is saying. I lost a lot of weight simply changing my diet. Now that I'm starting to feel better and yes, enjoying exercising, I am wanting to know just some basics on things like whey, creatine, glutamine..etc. Believe me, I know what it takes to get in shape...which is why it has taken my so long to get my life back. I am going to get on the cardio horse here next week as I almost pain free in my knees. I credit that decrease in pain due to strengthening my legs and the lost weight and expect it to only get better ...granted I don't do something stupid again...that is always a very good possibility.

Anyway, I know you guys are dead on right! I was coming at this from how can I take the best advantage of where I am now as far as gaining muscle mass while I'm getting rid of this blubber. I feel like I am kicking butt with my diet, getting some good lifting in which is building up strength in problem areas, planning on hitting the cardio next week, and actually enjoying this. I can't hardly believe I'm enjoying working out! I feel so friggin' good and can see improvements almost daily. As far as supplements go, there is just sooooo much to learn. I simply want to get going in the right direction while I am learning what is what, what is BS, and solid information.

Again, thank you for all the great info! I can't tell you how much I appreciate it.

At ur weight bro I would avoid stimulants because ur heart is probably already having to work hard cuz of ur size and I'm guessing ur bp is not in the normal range

Top Bottom