Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Workout plan after layoff - please critique ?

Vexer

Hi, I'm new here.
Had internal surgery last year & now I've just started lifting again after a 10 month may off.

WORKOUT A

SQUAT 3 x 6
CHINUPS 3 x to failure
BP 3 x 6-8
HAMMER CURL 2 x 10
DB PRESS (OVERHEAD) 2 x 10

WORKOUT B

DEADLIFT 2 x 6 (heavy)
DIPS 3 x 8 (bodyweight)
DB ROW 3 x 6-8
OVERHEAD CABLE EXT 2 x 6 (heavy)
BB CURL 2 x 10
FOREARM & AB WORK

- I alternate A & B in a three x/week week full body workout (tue-thu-sat).

- I add 5lbs per workout on the presses/rows and 10-15lbs per workout on the squat & deadlift. I added the hammer curls & overhead extensions cause Ijust plain like them and they seem to get that thickness in my upper arms when added to the big lifts.

I'm now five workouts in and already feel like I'm progressing. I assume muscle memory (I lost appox. 15lbs of lean bodyweight since last year) is kicking in and I might be able to gain faster due to the muscle cells already 'being there', just not yet at full size?

I lifted for 2 years before the layoff. Protein +/- 1.5gr/lbs bodyweight always got me good results.

I'm basing most of this on Mark Rippetoe's ideas on newbie training. Keep it simple and add weight every workout, going heavy and hard for 45mins and sleeping 9hrs a night with about 3500cals a day.

5 and 10-15 lbs a workout is too much to add. Add as your progression allows. You should also vary your lifts and rep range regularly. For example do hammer and preacher curls for a few workouts then change to reverse and concentration curls. Do a week or two at 3-6 reps, then a week or two at 8-12, etc. Initial strength gains are from neural adaptations, basically making your brain aware of previously unused muscle.

Top Bottom