Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Zinc: strong aromatase inhibitor - MUST READ!!

40BP and notatrase,
No, I'm most definitely NOT against studies, as I stated more than once in the other thread. What I think we need is a more critical eye, both when pasting in these studies, and when reading them.
For example, the 3 or 4 studies our German friend posted were all rat studies, except, I believe, for one human study, and they ALL dealt w/ subjects who had experimentally induced zinc deficiencies. Some were not even in vivo. We can really draw NO conclusions from those studies about using zinc as an anti-aromatase!
And yet, partly based on these studies, we are encouraging high-dose zinc therapy when there IS evidence that that may be harmful? Remember the original post, which was very enthusiastic.
Remember Chrysin? A great aromatase inhibitor, at least in vitro. But in vivo, it was a complete bust. Many ppl (including yours truly) spent their $$ on it. Fortunately, no toxicity was forthcoming.
So to answer both of ya'lls comments: it's great to post studies or abstracts to support our standpoints. The problem here, is that this was, if you will, a bait and switch. The studies were NOT related to his views about zinc use for juicers, they only SEEMED to be, at least with a cursory read. Further examination revealed otherwise. I'm ENcouraging a critical eye, rather than DIScouraging anything. I'm just not going to let illogic slide if I see it, and I don't think any of us should. The last thing I want to be is the abstract police:)
It's easy to read a lot into an abstract or paper, especially if we have a position to support. But if I see leaps of logic on this board, I'm going to call people on it, even at the risk of seeming like a killjoy.
My purpose is enhanced knowledge for us all.

Last edited:
Does anyone know if zinc raises free testosterone levels also? I had my blood tested about 6 months ago and my total & free tested. My total was nothing to brag about, but my free was nearly off the scale (it was at the maximum amount for the range given).

I'm an avid ZMA user so I thought that may be a possibility.

I am not smart enough for this thread. What is the consensus - Zinc BAD at 100+Mg per day but GOOD at 50 to 100 MG per day on cycle??

40butpumpin said:
If I'm not an ass, I sure feel like one. Thank-you for the response, buffdoc. :)

No ass-ness detected here! Seriously, the to and fro helps clarify things for a lot of us, me included.

SOLID said:
so what is just a good amount to take for a healthy well being? I don't believe in over doing anything.

Haha! Having 3000 ng/dl of testosterone is not overdoing it?

I wouldn't take that much zinc. I have read several times where certain minerals, especially zinc are toxic in high dosages.

"Just be wary of saying it's fine to take 200mg per day of zinc; people may NOT take that w/ a grain of salt, and what if they're juicing, perhaps their immune systems are down slightly and then they hit it off w/ large doses of zinc?...., excessive levels can be as bad as deficiency levels."

buffdoc, well said! With knowledge comes responsibility. Remember the lay people. All they have to do is hear Zinc raises Test and blocks estogen. They're going to run out, buy a bottle and pop a Zn tablet every 2 hours.

If you can't be unbiased when quoting a study, please post a reference where it can be found.

Bozz

Am J Clin Nutr 1990 Feb;51(2):225-7 Related Articles, Links

Zinc toxicity.

Fosmire GJ.

Department of Nutrition, College of Health and Human Development, Penn State University, University Park 16802.

Although consequences of zinc deficiency have been recognized for many years, it is only recently that attention has been directed to the potential consequences of excessive zinc intake. This is a review of the literature on manifestations of toxicity at several levels of zinc intake. Zinc is considered to be relatively nontoxic, particularly if taken orally. However, manifestations of overt toxicity symptoms (nausea, vomiting, epigastric pain, lethargy, and fatigue) will occur with extremely high zinc intakes. At low intakes, but at amounts well in excess of the Recommended Dietary Allowance (RDA) (100-300 mg Zn/d vs an RDA of 15 mg Zn/d), evidence of induced copper deficiency with attendant symptoms of anemia and neutropenia, as well as impaired immune function and adverse effects on the ratio of low-density-lipoprotein to high-density-lipoprotein (LDL/HDL) cholesterol have been reported. Even lower levels of zinc supplementation, closer in amount to the RDA, have been suggested to interfere with the utilization of copper and iron and to adversely affect HDL cholesterol concentrations. Individuals using zinc supplements should be aware of the possible complications attendant to their use.

Publication Types:
Review
Review, Tutorial

PMID: 2407097 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Sig,
Nice post. Simple, concise, no wild claims or prophesies of doom, just "here's the info".
Also, note that this is a REVIEW article; in these types of articles, the authors review the literature and summarize what is out there in the valid, peer-reviewed publications. Very useful and valuable type of article. Also, these are referring to HUMAN, clinical studies of in vivo zinc toxicity.
Thanks

Sigmund Roid said:
Am J Clin Nutr 1990 Feb;51(2):225-7 Related Articles, Links

Zinc toxicity.

Fosmire GJ.

Department of Nutrition, College of Health and Human Development, Penn State University, University Park 16802.

Although consequences of zinc deficiency have been recognized for many years, it is only recently that attention has been directed to the potential consequences of excessive zinc intake. This is a review of the literature on manifestations of toxicity at several levels of zinc intake. Zinc is considered to be relatively nontoxic, particularly if taken orally. However, manifestations of overt toxicity symptoms (nausea, vomiting, epigastric pain, lethargy, and fatigue) will occur with extremely high zinc intakes. At low intakes, but at amounts well in excess of the Recommended Dietary Allowance (RDA) (100-300 mg Zn/d vs an RDA of 15 mg Zn/d), evidence of induced copper deficiency with attendant symptoms of anemia and neutropenia, as well as impaired immune function and adverse effects on the ratio of low-density-lipoprotein to high-density-lipoprotein (LDL/HDL) cholesterol have been reported. Even lower levels of zinc supplementation, closer in amount to the RDA, have been suggested to interfere with the utilization of copper and iron and to adversely affect HDL cholesterol concentrations. Individuals using zinc supplements should be aware of the possible complications attendant to their use.

Publication Types:
Review
Review, Tutorial

PMID: 2407097 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Top Bottom