Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Straps for deads...? yay or nay...?

DZLS

I did deads this morning, and the weight felt pretty good, but my grip started failing me on the later reps of each set...

came to the point that i about dropped the weight from just below my knees on the final decent cause i just couldn't hold it any longer...

i was kind bumbed as i felt i could do more...

should i get some straps or should i stick with the weight until my grip can catch up...?

also, i consider myself a bodybuilder, not a powerlifter, so i am not looking to simply lift as much weight as possible...

i keep strict form and try and get the most out of every rep whether i do 2 or 10 of 'em...

conveniently lost my wraps years ago. it was eye opening how much I had relied on them. my opinion is to keep working on doing it without wraps. your grip will catch up. maybe hit some timed holds at the end of your workout to build your grip endurance. its a minimal time investment that will help your functional strength.

i know goals are different. I'm more of a purist when it comes to training. simple exercises, simple equipment, etc. belts and wraps are what I started out with, and ultimately moved away from. now I'm happy that I did as I, personally, feel more satisfaction not relying on anything to aid my training. (this is completely my view)

invest in some lifting chalk, you will have no problems holding weight. i personally can hold 600+ for a decent amount of time with chalk, but have problems repping 405 without it.

I use straps on back (pulling) day... only for my last sets of the day, which usually include heavy deads and heavy shrugs. I let my forearms get toasted during the workout until it hurts to grip a damn 20lb dumbell, then i'll use straps and hope they don't tear my hands off at the wrist :)

To each their own. I say only use as nessesary so your forearms will get proportionally stronger (and larger) with the rest of your body.

I wish I could use chalk in my gym... bunch of pansy asses there though.

well, i think i am going to get a set and only use them on my final set or once i feel my grip starting to fail...

i don't like using aids to help me with shit...

i appreciate everyone's advice so far... K to all... well except bigNate and Sgt Slaughter... i must have just hit you recently... ;)

another option is to pick up a rosin bag at a sporting good store (baseball section). Works like chalk, no dust. I love the stuff. the little bag has lasted me 2 years!!!

well, one, you dont wanna over train ur grip, so use them in some cases. i use them for shrug and rack deads, cuz on rack deads, im using about 120-130% of my 1rm, weight i cant hold..

two, just cuz ur a body builder doesnt mean u dont need a strong grip.

strong grip = heavier weights = more mass = your goal...

I only use my straps on the last set. I also do not like to completely rely on them. The straps I have are really good, Versa Grips. I think they would be better than chalk, but I've never used chalk.

Top Bottom