Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Iodine Advice

DeeAye

Zyglamail and others have made numerous comments in these threads about iodine deficiency, so I am looking for some basic guidance. I've tried searching these forums, as well some general web searches, but I was unable to ascertain any definitive advice. For middle-aged guy on TRT with a solid diet (mostly paleo) and 10-14 hours per week of endurance sports training, where should I start? How much iodine supplementation and what form?

Thanks much!

I, and my family, have been using Iodoral for years. It was originally prescribed by my doctor. The normal dosage is 12.5mg/day. This is the average dosage used by people in Japan where there is little evidence of cancer since they eat a lot of seaweed products where iodine is quite high. You might want to read Dr. Brownstein's book on "Iodine - Why You Can't Live Without It".

Yep, brownstiens book is a good start. You want to take lugol solution OR iodarol (which is a tablet form of logol solution. Should make sure to at least supplement selenium as well. Personally due to the toxic halogen exposure we all face I take 50mg iodarol or lugols a day.

Based on my own recent personal experience, I suggest having the guidance of a doctor that is familiar with iodine supplementation and monitoring your chosen iodine protocol with bloodwork, to make sure you are getting the desired results.

Up until recently, I was taking 25mg of iodoral ed, along with supporting supplementation. In just under two months of starting my iodine protocol, I starting feeling extremely fatigued. Blood work later confirmed my TSH was out of range on the hypo side. I have since discontinued the iodoral and my energy levels have recovered. I have lad work scheduled for in about a month to check on things again.

Based on my own recent personal experience, I suggest having the guidance of a doctor that is familiar with iodine supplementation and monitoring your chosen iodine protocol with bloodwork, to make sure you are getting the desired results.

Up until recently, I was taking 25mg of iodoral ed, along with supporting supplementation. In just under two months of starting my iodine protocol, I starting feeling extremely fatigued. Blood work later confirmed my TSH was out of range on the hypo side. I have since discontinued the iodoral and my energy levels have recovered. I have lad work scheduled for in about a month to check on things again.

These are the kind of posts you see on the internet that scare people away from resolving their issues. Doesnt sound like your doc is knowledgeable on iodine supplementation at all.

TSH alone does not indicate hypo or hyper. When someone starts iodine there are many other factors to consider. Usually when one encounters problems its due to lack of, improper form of or improper dosing of supporting nutrients.

Ive actually heard dozens of stories like yours and in nearly every case they were not getting adequate selenium or taking the wrong kind and many werent getting enough b2/b3.

Im all for seeking professional guidance with iodine supplementation but make sure they are actually knowledgeable on the subject. A pro iodine doc would not simply pull you off iodine because you had hypo symptoms. They would also be doing an iodine loading test along with testing for various other deficiencies.

If your getting thyroid labs done an iodine doc would not just rely on TSH values, they would get a complete panel. They would also know temporary increases in TSH are often seen when supplementation is started.

Zyglamail,

I just started taking 12.5 mg of Iodoral. Is there any harm in also supplementing selenium? If so, how much? FYI There is 110 mcg of selenium in my daily vitamin. I realize that it'd be best to get blood-work and oversight from an MD, but I'm just looking for some general guidance (not to mention, the info here is probably more reliable than what one would get from an MD anyhow).

Zyglamail,

I just started taking 12.5 mg of Iodoral. Is there any harm in also supplementing selenium? If so, how much? FYI There is 110 mcg of selenium in my daily vitamin. I realize that it'd be best to get blood-work and oversight from an MD, but I'm just looking for some general guidance (not to mention, the info here is probably more reliable than what one would get from an MD anyhow).

You absolutely want to supplement selenium. One without the other causes problems. Most multi's have some but I would recommend you add at least another 200mcg in the form of L-Selenomethionine.

There isnt any real accurate way to get iodine levels from blood work. The best way is to try and determine how much is excreted over a 24 hour period. This is done with an iodine loading test. Basically take a 50mg iodarol tablet and then collect all urine for the next 24 hours. Then a sample of that is sent to lab. Your iodine sufficient if you excrete 95%.

Selenium, like most minerals, is largely stored in the cell and not in the serum. Most docs just run serum tests for vits/minerals and its not accurate.

Just keep in mind that iodine can displace bromide, which is actually toxic and not needed but we soak a lot of it up daily. This purging of bromide and other toxic halides can cause a detox (ie herxheimer) reaction. It could be as simple as a mild heachache, to runny nose to acne etc.

For me I felt a little run down and had a weird kind of headache and brain fog. for a few weeks after starting. 1/2 tsp of UNREFINED celtic or sea salt dissolved in a little warm water followed by a large glass of regular water generally got rid of the headaches in short order.

Top Bottom