Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

DEXA Scans

Cowgrrl

High End Bro
Platinum
There's a mobile DEXA (Dual-Energy Absorptionmetry Scan) unit coming to my chiropractor's office. The flyer says that I can get information on: bone density, body fat %, lean body mass, the distribution of the lean and fat in the arms, body trunk, and legs.

I attempted to look up DEXA scan online, but could only find that they use them for bone density tests.

Does anyone have any experience with using them to measure your bf%?

BTW- I found that in hospitals, the scans normally run upwards of $200.00, but they are offering them at $60.00- which always makes me wonder about the quality.

If I Google search for:

"DEXA" bodyfat

I come up with alot of information. I've had it done, but it was quite a while back and in a lab setting, so I can't really comment on the quality of the mobile DEXA idea. Maybe Wilson6 knows.

We did whole body DEXAs on Chris Bongiovanni and Lesa Lewis a few years ago when they were in town for the Arnold. They both came in around 5%, consistent with skinfolds; bone density above normal (no surprises). We also compared some other lean (6 - 9%) national competitors DEXA to UW weight and the results were consistent.

Depends on the software, but the results are pretty sound.

I prefer DEXA as it gives bone density and regional measures of fat, lean and bone. In fact, we'd use DEXA info to tease out bone density effects on UW weigh results.

If you can get one done (whole body), go for it. The data will be useful.

Be normally hydrated.

W6

I had a bone scan about 4 years ago at a Hospital University in London. This was done as part of research into the female, athletic triad - bone density, menstrual irregularities and training levels in distance runners of a good standard.

I got body fat results from the scan too, and drom each body part, and left to right comparisons for symmetry-would this have been a dexa scan? If so it was very informative and showed me what physical measurements using hi-tech equipment identified which was a significant difference in strength between my right and left leg which then enabled me to bring the imbalance to rights and balance my body out.

Top Bottom