Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Calipers

I'd recommend buying a simple pair of calipers from your local vitamin store or online for less than 10 bucks. Then, all you would have to do is calculate bodyfat using ACSM's guidelines and a calculator. I have the formulas for both males and females if you happen to want them.

I've used them, but for me they gave ridiculously low measurements. Another friend bought them, and they didn't work at all. And I've heard of another person who got ridiculously high results. In other words, I haven't found them to be a reliable caliper. I personally own "The Body Caliper" - it calibrates nicely with a spring mechanism - like a Lange but much less expensive. You should be able to get it for around $50 or so.

JJFigure said:
- like a Lange but much less expensive. You should be able to get it for around $50 or so.

The calipers I use are the cheap plastic ones for less than $10. We use Lange in our lab, and my cheap set gives the same mm measurements.

I use them.

What they are good for is to record the bf% first time and check again in about 2 - 4 weeks. Calculate the difference.
Also,
You can do the same spot over and over again, so you can average the % out. For example, if you checking your stomach, do it 3 times and it will record all 3 times. So it will say upper 10%
11% and 12%, then you take 11%. Or if its 9%, 9%,10%, you use 9%. Its very easy.
It also keeps the figures in its memory for ever.

Thanks everyone. I ordered them before I got a lot of response. So we'll see how they work. Like MrStamina said, I can at least track my progress every few weeks. I'll also compare my results with the cheap one's my brother has when I visit my family.

pwr_machine said:
I'd recommend buying a simple pair of calipers from your local vitamin store or online for less than 10 bucks. Then, all you would have to do is calculate bodyfat using ACSM's guidelines and a calculator. I have the formulas for both males and females if you happen to want them.

It would be great if you could pass on the formulas!

I cannot find calipers ANYWHERE locally. :/

I've tried gyms, local health stores, chain health stores, local vitamin shops, chain vitamin shops, sporting goods stores, you name it! This has become a most frustrating quest, and I'd prefer to pick them up around here rather than order from online.

MissChris said:
I cannot find calipers ANYWHERE locally. :/

I've tried gyms, local health stores, chain health stores, local vitamin shops, chain vitamin shops, sporting goods stores, you name it! This has become a most frustrating quest, and I'd prefer to pick them up around here rather than order from online.
I'd request that one of those stores order them for you if you're hesitant about ordering them online.

Top Bottom