Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Calipers

What about errors in technique? If you pinch muscle or not all of the fat layer you're obviously going to miscalculate. Are the more expensive models more idiot proof?

anya said:
What about errors in technique? If you pinch muscle or not all of the fat layer you're obviously going to miscalculate. Are the more expensive models more idiot proof?

It's really tough to pinch muscle. As for as the fat fold, you're looking for a vertical, even pinch. It just takes practice.

I've seen Lange calipers in the range of $200+ dollars. I own a plastic pair for like 6 bucks and get the same mm measurement with each.

Thanks for your response pwr_machine.

The $50 product sounds good to me since I can split the cost with my training partner.

Measurements I have had made at various gyms have been pretty inconsistant. It's gotta be a matter of user error. I've gotten 15.5% up to 18% within two days of one another. I'm not concerned at all about my bf level itself, I'm just trying to accurately calculate LBM and hence track my gains. So doing these spot measures on specific bodyparts like some people mentioned isnt useful for me. I want an accurate and reliable (consistant) global bf measure. I might decide to resort to more exotic and expensive methods. I think the wellness center at my university offers the hydostatic method, but I'm not sure.

Can anyone speak from experience about the degree of correlation between the water and air displacement methods as compared to skin fold estimates?

I recall a +/-3 % error rate in skinfold measurement. I think that's pretty common. The more you do, the better you get. Having the same person conduct the measurements each time also increases the chance of taking a consistent measure.

Hydrostatic weighing is known to be more accurate. Then again, look at your progress over time. Try not to dwell on week to week, but maybe month to month.

Check you local universities also. There h & pe dept.'s may also have the means to help you map out your LBM accurately.

Top Bottom